T. S. Singh Deo is an Indian politician and social worker who has a political career spanning more than 4 decades. He is one of the top leaders in Chhattisgarh Congress and also one of the richest MLAs of Chhattisgarh. He became the first Deputy Chief Minister of Chhattisgarh in 2023.
T. S. Singh Deo aka Tribhuvaneshwar Saran Singh Deo aka T. S. Baba was born on Friday, 31 October 1952 (age 70 years; as of 2022) in Allahabad (now Prayagraj), Uttar Pradesh, India. His zodiac sign is Scorpio. He studied at the Scindia School, Gwalior and passed I.A.C. (12th) in 1969. He pursued Bachelor’s degree in Arts at Hindu College–Delhi University (HC–DU) and passed it in 1972. He pursued a Master’s degree in Arts at Government Hamidiya Arts & Commerce Degree College, Bhopal University and passed it in 1975. He later pursued a career in politics. In 2001, he became the Maharaj of Surguja; however, he does not like to use the title.
Height (approx.): 6′ 2″
Weight (approx.): 75 kg
Hair Colour: Salt and pepper
Eye Colour: Black
He belongs to a princely family.
Parents & Siblings
His father, Madneshwar Saran Singh Deo, was the 117th Maharaj of the Surguja clan and ex-chief secretary of the government of Madhya Pradesh and died in 2001. His mother, Maharani Devendra Kumari, daughter of Raja Rana Digvijay Chand of Jubbal and his wife, Rani Hemant Kanwar, was a minister in the Madhya Pradesh government and died on 10 February 2020.
He has a younger brother named Aruneshwar Saran Singh Deo and three sisters in total including one elder sister named Rajkumari Mohini Kumari and two younger sisters named Rajkumari Asha Kumari and Rajkumari Manjushree Kumari.
Wife & Children
He got married to Kumari Taruna Devi, the daughter of Kanwar Nar Bir Singh of Sirmur (also spelt as Sirmaur), and his wife, Kanwarani Urmila Devi, on 31 October 1981; however, they divorced in 1983. He does not have any children.
He follows Hinduism.
He belongs to the Rajput caste.
As his family was associated with the Indian National Congress (INC) for many decades, he also joined INC and won his first election for the Ambikapur Municipal committee in 1983. He later became a MLA from Ambikapur Legislative Constituency in 2008. He again won the Legislative elections from the same constituency in 2013 and 2018.
From 2013 to 2018, he was the Leader of Opposition in the Chhattisgarh Legislative Assembly. In 2018, he became a Cabinet Minister in the Chhattisgarh state government and held portfolios of Health and Family Welfare, Medical Education, 20 Point Program Implementation, and Commercial taxes (GST). On 28 June 2023, he became the first Deputy Chief Minister of Chhattisgarh.
He owns a Honda Civic, Mahindra XUV 500, Hyundai Verna, Audi, and a Mercedes car.
His income for the financial year 2017-2018 was Rs. 7,43,000. It excludes the net worth of his wife and dependents (minors).
Assets & Properties
- Bank Deposits: Rs. 22,09,943
- Bonds, Debentures, and Shares in companies: Rs. 36,25,000
- NSS, LIC, Postal Savings etc: Rs. 62,00,000
- Motor Vehicles: Rs. 1,11,82,375
- Jewellery: Rs. 1,03,00,000
- Other Assets (Revolver, Gun): Rs. 2,50,000
- Agricultural Land: Rs. 478,84,11,721
- Non-Agricultural Land: Rs. 7,30,06,000
- Commercial Buildings: Rs. 7,30,06,000
- Residential Buildings: Rs. 8,13,93,800
Note: The given estimates of movable and immovable assets are according to the year 2018. It excludes the assets owned by his wife and dependents (minor).
Deo’s net worth for the financial year 2017-2018 was estimated to be Rs. 510 Crores. It excludes the net worth of any dependents (minors).
- He is fondly referred as T. S. Baba by people of his constituency.
- He was the richest MLA in Chhattisgarh Legislative Assembly with a net worth of more than 500 crores.
- There are speculations about a rivalry between him and Bhupesh Baghel, Chief Minister of Chhattisgarh, for the post of Chief Minister.
- He was very close to his grandfather Maharaja Ambikeshwar Saran Singh Deo and used to go to watch Dussehra fairs on elephant with him.
- He has worked with many social service organisations including UNICEF.
- He is very fond of adventurous activities. He posted a video of sky diving in Australia.