Sonam Bhattacharya is an Indian entreprenuer. She is known for being the wife of Sunil Chhetri, an Indian professional footballer who plays as a forward and captains both the Indian Super League club Bengaluru and the Indian national team.
Sonam Bhattacherjee was born on Tuesday, 29 November 1988 (age 34 years; as of 2022) in Kolkata, West Bengal, India. She grew up in Kolkata.
Sonam attended Gokhale Memorial Girls’ School. She studied at Heramba Chandra College, popularly known as South City Day College, in Kolkata. In 2010, Sonam moved to Aberdeen, Scotland, where she pursued a Master of Science degree at Robert Gordon University.
Height (approx.): 5′ 5″
Hair Colour: Black with Light Golden Brown highlights
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Parents & Siblings
Her father, Subrata Bhattacharya, is an Indian football manager and former professional footballer, while her mother, Lata Bhattacherjee, is a homemaker. Sonam has an elder brother named Shaheb Bhattacherjee, who is an actor.
Sonam Bhattacharya married Sunil Chhetri, an Indian football player, on 4 December 2017 in Kolkata.
Sonam Bhattacharya dated Sunil Chhetri for almost 13 years. In an interview with Humans of Bombay, Sunil Chhetri talked about his relationship with Sonam Bhattacharya. Sonam’s father, Subrata Bhattacharya, happened to be Chhetri’s coach, and he often mentioned Chhetri at home. When Sonam was 15 years old, she took Chhetri’s contact number from her father’s phone and sent him a text expressing her admiration and desire to meet him. Although Chhetri initially thought she was a child when they first met, they continued texting each other for about two months.
A surprising twist occurred when Chhetri was fixing Subrata Bhattacharya’s phone and a number rang. He realized it was Sonam and came to know that she is the daughter of his coach. Sunil and Sonam decided to halt their relationship to avoid complications with her father, who was also Chhetri’s coach. Chhetri, however, couldn’t stop thinking about Sonam and reached out to her again. They kept their relationship private and met twice a year due to Chhetri’s frequent travels. To watch movies together, Chhetri would buy two tickets, leave one at the counter, and Sonam would collect it later to join him in the theatre. Chhetri visited Sonam’s house and expressed his feelings to her father. Subrata Bhattacharya, after hearing Chhetri’s confession, gave his approval for their marriage, and a few months later, the duo got married.
Sonam joined Blue Orchid Mansion Pvt. Ltd. as a director on 15 October 2013.
- She is fondly called ‘Bonu’ by her brother Shaheb Bhattacherjee.
- Sonam consumes alcohol occasionally.
- Her passion for reading books shines through his social media presence.
- She follows a non-vegetarian diet.
- Sonam Bhattacharya is a great fan of Cristiano Ronaldo, a Portuguese football player.
- Sonam is a fitness enthusiast. She often shares her workout routine on social media.
- During the Intercontinental Cup 2023 held in Bhubaneswar, Odisha, Sunil Chhetri delightedly announced that he and his wife, Sonam Bhattacharya, were expecting a baby. After scoring the winning goal in the 81st minute, Chhetri celebrated by putting the ball under his shirt, mimicking the act of cradling a baby. He then blew kisses to his wife, who was watching the game from the stands.