Simi Garewal is an Indian film actress, director, producer, and talk show host. She gained immense popularity with her 1997 English talk show ‘Rendezvous with Simi Garewal,’ which aired on Star World.
Simi Garewal aka Simrita Garewal was born on Friday, 17 October 1947 (age 75 years; as of 2022) in Ludhiana, Punjab, India. Later, her family shifted to London, UK. She did her schooling at Newland High School, London, UK. Her zodiac sign is Libra.
Later, she attended Filmalaya Acting School in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
Height (approx.): 5′ 6″
Hair Colour: Brown
Eye Colour: Brown
Simi Garewal belongs to the Sikh Jatt family.
Parents & Siblings
Her father, Jalawar Singh Garewal, served as a brigadier in the Indian Army, and he was the 19th officer to be commissioned in the Indian Army. Her mother’s name is Darshi Garewal. She has an elder sister named Amrita Garewal.
Wife & Children
She was married to Ravi Mohan, who belonged to an aristocratic family of Delhi-the Chunamals. A few months after their marriage, the couple started living separately, and after almost a decade, the couple got divorced.
The couple did not have any children. In an interview in 2013, she revealed that once she almost completed the proceeding of adopting a girl child, but at the last moment, her biological parents showed up. She said,
I nearly adopted a girl once. I went to an orphanage and found this girl called Vijaya, who was abandoned at the railway station by her parents. According to the rules, they had to publish her photograph in the newspaper. And within three months, if no one claimed the child, I could bring her home. Till about two months, there was no news of her biological parents. But just when I was about to get her custody, the parents showed up. It was heartbreaking.”
Simi further shared that at that time the Indian actor Dev Anand’s words helped her. She said that he used to say,
I never carry my sorrows with me. I just put them in my pocket and move on.’”
Her paternal grandfather, Captain Kehar Singh Garewal, was appointed as the ADC to Queen Victoria.
Her maternal uncle, Premindra Singh Bhagat, was a general in the Indian Army, and the first Indian recipient of the Victoria Cross II World War.
Her other maternal uncle, Bhupindar Singh, was a colonel in the Indian Army.
Her first cousin, Gaganjit Singh, was a major general in the Indian Army.
Pamela Chopra, the wife of the Indian filmmaker Yash Chopra, is her maternal cousin.
At the age of 17, she fell in love with her neighbour Shatrushalyasinhji Digvijaysinhji, who was the Maharaja of Jamnagar. The relationship lasted for three years.
Simi was once in a relationship with the renowned Indian industrialist Ratan Tata. In an interview, Simi confessed that she was in a long-term relationship with Ratan Tata. She said,
Ratan and I go back a long way. He’s perfection, he’s got a sense of humour, is modest and is the perfect gentleman. Money was never his driving force. He’s not as relaxed in India as he is abroad.”
Mansoor Ali Khan Pataudi
Simi was once in a serious relationship with the Indian cricketer Nawab Mansoor Ali Khan Pataudi. They often visited parties and events together, but then, Mansoor met the Indian actress Sharmila Tagore and fell in love with her. Later, Mansoor confessed the same to Simi and broke up with her.
She was in a rumoured relationship with the Indian actor and producer Raj Kapoor. In an interview, one of Simi’s friends talked about it. She said,
Raj Kapoor had a weak spot for all his leading ladies and his affection for Simi was pretty obvious. It was rumoured that they had an affair. Simi was simply in awe of Raj Kapoor. In fact, she was hesitant about taking up the part in Siddhartha because of the bold scenes but it was Raj Kapoor who convinced her.”
Once, there were rumours that Simi dated the Pakistani businessman Salman Taseer. Her name was also linked up with the Indian actor Rishi Kapoor.
Paviova, 6th Floor Little Gibbs Road, Malabar Hill, Mumbai
In 1962, she made her Bollywood debut with the film ‘Raaz Ki Baat’ in which she played the role of Kamal.
In the same year, she acted in a few other Hindi films like ‘Son of India’ and ‘Tarzan Goes to India.’
She then acted in many popular Hindi films like ‘Do Badan’ (1966), ‘Saathi’ (1968), ‘Mera Naam Joker’ (1970), ‘Kabhi Kabhie’ (1976), and ‘Professor Pyarelal’ (1981).
Simi made her Bengali film debut with ‘Aranyer Din Ratri’ (1970) in which she played the role of Duli.
In 1973, she acted in the Bengali film ‘Padatik.’
She made her Bollywood directorial debut with the 1988 film ‘Rukhsat’ in which she also worked as an actor.
In 1983, Simi started a film production company Siga Arts International. Under her banner, she produced, directed, and hosted a Doordarshan TV series ‘It’s a Woman’s World’ (1983).
In 1985, she worked as a writer and director in the documentary ‘Living Legend Raj Kapoor,’ which aired on Channel Four Television, UK.
Simi has directed and written three-part documentary series titled ‘India’s Rajiv’ (1991) based on the Indian politician Rajiv Gandhi.
She has also directed a few Hindi TV commercials.
In 1997, she started working as a host for Star World India’s talk show ‘Rendezvous with Simi Garewal.’ She hosted five seasons of the show consisting of 140 episodes.
In 2011, she hosted another Star World India talk show ‘Simi Selects India’s Most Desirable.’ She gained immense popularity with her talk shows.
In 1987, she acted in the BBC documentary-drama ‘Maharajas,’ which was based on the book by Charles Allen. She appeared as a guest host on the reality TV show ‘Bigg Boss’ in 2022.
Criticised for Her Bold Scenes
In the 1970s, she did semi-nude and erotic scenes in a few Hindi films like Siddhartha and Mera Naam Joker. She was heavily criticised for her bold scenes in the films as in that era doing such bold scenes in Bollywood was taboo. Some of her scenes in the films were even cut by the censor board. Later, a leading magazine published her topless photos for which Simi sued the publishing house.
Tiff with Rani Mukerji
In 2011, when the Indian actress Rani Mukerji was invited as a guest in the TV show ‘Rendezvous with Simi Garewal,’ Rani got angry at Simi for constantly provoking her by asking questions related to her relationship with Aditya Chopra. Reportedly, after the incident, Simi and Rani shared a cold vibe with each other.
- 1966: Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actress for the Hindi film Do Badan
- 1968: Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actress for the Hindi film Saathi
- 1980: Filmfare Nomination for Best Supporting Actress for the Hindi film Karz
- 1988: Pater’s Award in Australia for directing TV commercials
- 1999: Screen Awards for Best Talk Show & Best Anchor
- 2001: RAPA Award for Best Anchor & Talk show
- 2003: Indian Television Academy Award for Best Anchor
- 2003: Rotary Award for Vocational Excellence in Media & Television
- 2004: Indian Filmgoers Association Award Best Talk Show
- 2018: UKAFF award for Contribution to Film and Television
- 2018: Dadasaheb Award Excellence Award
- 2022: Hall of Fame Award by Hindustan Times Most Stylish
- Music Band(s): The Beatles, Metallica
- Cuisine: Thai, Italian, French
- Fashion Brand: Shahab, Armani, Anamika, Nike, Reebok
- Holiday Destination: Las Vegas
- At the age of 5, she watched the Hindi film ‘Awaara’ or ‘Awara,’ after which she developed an interest in acting. Her parents did not want her to make a career in acting. She resorted to a hunger strike after which her parents agreed to it. In her teens, she auditioned at Twickenham Studios in England, but she was rejected for her Indian looks. She then shifted from England to India and tried her luck in Bollywood. Initially, she found it difficult to get a role in a film as her looks were too western for Bollywood films.
- She owns a Mercedes-Benz E200.
- She is an avid animal lover and has a pet dog named Chutki Garewal. She has also worked for the welfare of dogs.
- She loves baking cakes, playing snooker, and playing video games in her leisure time.
- Simi is often spotted wearing white clothes. In an interview, she shared that she loved the white colour and felt happy wearing white clothes.
- In 2012, she started her self-titled YouTube channel on which she uploads videos of her interviews with various celebrities. As of January 2023, she has around 510k subscribers on her channel.
- She considers the Indian filmmaker Raj Kapoor her mentor.
- In an interview, she shared that she had done botox below her eyebrows. She said,
Tell me, what is the big deal about Botox? Girls half my age use it. Botox is only used here (places two fingers above her eyebrows) and nowhere else, it only stops you from getting ugly frown lines.”
- Simi follows a vegetarian diet. Earlier, she used to eat non-vegetarian food.
- She is often spotted drinking alcohol at parties and events.
- She has been featured on the cover of various magazines like Filmfare and Star & Style magazine.