Safyaan Mohammed Sharif is a Scottish cricketer. He is a right-hand medium-fast speed blower and right-hand batsman. He began playing for the Scottish national team in June 2011.
Safyaan Mohammed Sharif was born on Friday, 24 May 1991 (age 32 Years; as of 2023) in Huddersfield, Yorkshire, England. His zodiac sign is Gemini.
Height (approx.): 6′ 1″
Weight (approx.): 75kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Body Measurements (approx.): Chest: 40 Inches, Waist: 34 Inches, Biceps: 14 Inches
Parents & Siblings
His parents’ names are not known. He has a brother named Sulmaan Sharif.
His sister’s name is Sabah Sharif.
Wife & Children
On 7 August 2015, he got married to Safina Sharif. The couple has a son named Subhan Mohammad, who was born in 2017.
Safyaan was in a relationship with Safina before getting married to her.
He follows Islam.
T20I (till 2023)
- From 2012 to 2022, he was ranked 41st and holds the record for the most career wickets, with a total of 63.
- During his career, his economy rate was the highest, averaging 8.21 runs per over.
- On September 15, 2021, during a match between Scotland and Zimbabwe in Edinburgh, he achieved his fastest career wickets in his 43rd match.
ODI (till 2023)
- He holds the record for taking the most wickets in a series, with a total of 37 wickets, during the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup League 2 in the period of 2019-2023.
In June 2011, Safyaan Sharif played his first cricket match for Scotland against the Netherlands in a competition called the 2011-13 Intercontinental Cup One-Day. It was a One Day International (ODI) match. In this game, he got 4 wickets for 27 runs. Then, in July 2011, he played two more ODIs in a series against Ireland and Sri Lanka. Both matches took place at The Grange in Edinburgh.
In September 2011, Safyaan Sharif played his first-class debut cricket match against Namibia during the 2011-13 ICC Intercontinental Cup held at the Wanderers Cricket Ground in Windhoek. After that, he played in two more List A matches against Namibia during the ICC Intercontinental Cup One-Day competition. During the tour, Safyaan Sharif also took part in four Twenty20 matches against the Namibian team. In those matches, he managed to get 8 wickets. On average, he gave away about 10.37 runs per wicket. His best performance in those matches was when he got 3 wickets for 29 runs.
In February 2012, Safyaan Sharif played his second first-class match in the Intercontinental Cup against the United Arab Emirates. After that, he got selected to be part of Scotland’s team for the World Twenty20 Qualifier series.
In March 2018, Safyaan Sharif achieved a milestone in his cricket career when he took five wickets in a single One Day International (ODI) match against Zimbabwe in Bulawayo during the Cricket World Cup Qualifier. This was the first time that Safyaan Sharif’s exceptional performance earned him the title of the player of the match, even though the game ended in a tie. In just 8.4 overs, he took five wickets, conceding only 33 runs. The International Cricket Council (ICC) recognized him as a rising star for Scotland’s team following the Cricket World Cup Qualifier.
In May 2018, the English team Derbyshire County Cricket Club signed Safyaan Sharif to join them for the 2018 Royal London One-Day Cup and 2018 T20 Blast tournaments. Safyaan Sharif was selected to play for Scotland in the 2019 ICC T20 World Cup Qualifier match held in the United Arab Emirates in September 2019. He led the Scotland team with thirteen dismissals in seven games throughout the tournament. In addition, in June 2019, Safyaan Sharif was chosen to join the Edmonton Royals franchise team for the 2019 Global T20 Canada competition.
In September 2021, Safyaan Sharif got chosen for the initial team of Scotland for the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup.
One Day Internationals
In One Day Internationals (ODIs), Sharif Safyaan participated in 71 matches and scored a total of 526 runs, averaging 20.23 runs per match. His highest individual score in an innings was 40 runs. He also bowled 3,375 deliveries and took 100 wickets, with an average of 29.70 runs per wicket. His best bowling figures in an innings were 5/33. Additionally, he made 19 catches in the field.
In Twenty20 Internationals (T20Is), Sharif Safyaan played 57 matches and scored a total of 165 runs, with an average of 13.75 runs per match. His highest individual score in a T20I match was 26 runs. As a bowler, he delivered 1,165 balls and claimed 63 wickets, averaging 25.33 runs per wicket. His best bowling figures in a T20I innings were 4/94. He also took 11 catches.
First-Class (FC) Matches
In First-Class (FC) matches, Sharif Safyaan participated in 9 matches and scored a total of 229 runs, with an average of 28.62 runs per match. His highest individual score in an FC match was 60 runs, and he scored one half-century. As a bowler, he bowled 1,213 deliveries and took 18 wickets, averaging 30.40 runs per wicket. His best bowling figures in an FC match were 4/24. Additionally, he took 5 catches.
List A (LA) Matches
In List A (LA) matches, Sharif Safyaan played 93 matches and scored a total of 677 runs, with an average of 17.81 runs per match. His highest individual score in a List A match was 40 runs, and he scored one half-century. As a bowler, he delivered 4,331 balls and took 122 wickets, averaging 36.33 runs per wicket. His best bowling figures in a List A match were 5/33. He also took 20 catches.
Sharif Safyaan owns a Honda CBR 1000RR bike.
Sharif Safyaan owns an Audi A7 and Audi A5.
Sharif Safyaan owns a Cadillac.
- Cricketers: Dale Steyn, Brett Lee, Wasim Akram, and Waqar Younis
- Sharif Safyaan follows a non-vegetarian diet.
- During his free time, Safyaan Sharif enjoys travelling to faraway destinations.
- For ODIs, his jersey number is # 50 (Scotland).
- Once, Safyaan Sharif said in a media conversation that his greatest moment was when he got England cricket player Mark Wood out (LBW), which helped Scotland win against England in a single one-day international match in 2018.
- Once, during an interview with the media, Safyaan Sharif talked about his childhood memories and mentioned that his father was a good cricket player. He shared that he used to enjoy playing football, cricket, and basketball when he was young. He also mentioned that he started playing cricket when he was thirteen years old. Safyaan Sharif said,
But cricket stood out because my dad played cricket and was a good cricketer himself. I didn’t really know, however, that I would become a professional cricketer. It was however, during one moment when I was about 13-14 where I realized this is something I can try doing and become a good player one day.”
- Safyaan Sharif is very close to his coach Stephen Fleming.
- During a conversation with the media in 2018, Safyaan Sharif referred to himself as a family-oriented person. He mentioned that when he is not playing cricket, he enjoys spending quality time with his family.
I’m actually very much a family guy. We’re quite tight as a group, so I love spending time with my family. Apart from cricket, I just like to chill with them and go out once in a way, maybe.”
- Safyaan Sharif loves fitness. He enjoys taking care of his physical health and puts a lot of effort into it. He takes part in various activities to make sure he stays healthy and happy. Safyaan Sharif likes to show off his workout pictures on social media.
- In 2018 and 2021, he played for domestic teams Derbyshire and Kent, respectively.