Roja Selvamani is an Indian politician and a former actress. She is famous for her roles in Tamil and Telugu films. She was appointed as the Minister for Tourism, Culture and Youth Advancement of Andhra Pradesh.
Roja Selvamani was born on Friday, 17 November 1972 (age 50 years; as of 2023) as Sri Latha Reddy in Tirupati, Tirupati district, Andhra Pradesh. Later, she moved to Hyderabad with her family. She pursued her bachelor’s degree in Political Science from Sri Padmavathi Women’s University, Tirupati. At an early age, Roja started learning Kuchipudi and was a trained dancer before she made her acting debut. At the age of 10, she acted for the first time in a documentary directed by her father. Later, during her college’s first year, she got the chance to act again.
Weight: 70 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
Roja’s father, Nagaraja Reddy, was a sound Engineer at Charathi Studio and also directed documentaries. Her mother, Lalitha Reddy is a homemaker. She has two brothers, Kumaraswamy Reddy and Ramaprasad Reddy.
Husband & Children
Roja got married to Tamil film director R. K. Selvamani on 21 August 2002 in Tirumala. R. K. Selvamani is a film director. They have 2 children, Anshumalika Selvamani, and Krishna Lohith Selvamani.
Roja was in a relationship with R. K. Selvamani, a film director for 13 years before the couple got married.
Roja Selvamani belongs to the Reddy clan and follows Hinduism.
D.No.11-13, Opp. C.S.I. Hospital, Nagari, Chittoor Dist. A.P.
Roja made her acting debut in 1991 with the Telugu film Prema Thapassu (1991) with Rajendra Prasad, Her second film Sarpayagam was a Telugu film starring Sobhan Babu. She was the leading actress in the Telugu film industry from 1991 to 2002. She has acted in more than 50 Telugu films including Atta Sommu Alludi Daanam (1993), Subhalagnam(1994), Anna (1994), Maya Bazaar (1995), and Topi Raja Sweety Roja (1996).
Roja entered the Tamil film Industry with the help of director R. K. Selvamani. She made her debut in the Tamil film industry with the film Chembaruthi (1992), starring Prashanth. She has done more than 60 Tamil films including Veera (1994), Asuran (1995), Adimai Changili (1997), and Unnidathil Ennai Koduthen (1998). She won multiple Nandi Awards for her performance in Unnidathil Ennai Koduthen (1998). Later in 1995, she became famous for songs such as “Meloor Maman” in the film Makkal Aatchi with Mammootty and “Mastana Mastana” in Raasaiyya with Prabhu Deva.
Kannada and Malayalam cinema
Roja has acted in many Kannada and Malayalam films including Gadibidi Ganda (1993), Independence Day (2000), Sundara Kanda (2001), Gangothri (1997), and Jamna Pyari (2015).
Roja made her television debut with the role of Sindhu in the Tamil television show Nathi Enge Pogirathu (2002-2003) on Star Vijay channel. In 2004, she played the role of Jaya Gour in the Kannada show Uttarayana (2004) on Udaya TV. She also appeared as a judge on many shows and weekly on television including Nachore (2011), Jabardasth (2013–2022), and Ragada: The Ultimate Dance Show (2015). She hosted many television shows like Racchabanda (2016-2017), Bathuku Jatka Bandi (2018), and Tasmath Jagratha (2019).
Roja joined the Telugu Desam Party in 1998 and began her political career. She was elected as the president of the Telugu Mahila wing of the Party. In 2004, she contested as a TDP candidate from the Nagari constituency but lost the election. Again, in 2009 she contested from the Nagari constituency but was defeated again. She resigned from TDP in 2009 and joined Yuvajana Sramika Rythu Congress Party in the same year. In 2014, Roja contested from Nagari constituency as a YSR congress candidate and was elected as the MLA. In December 2015, Roja was suspended from attending the state assembly because of derogatory comments made by Roja on the then chief minister of the state, N Chandrababu Naidu. In 2019, She was appointed as the President of the YSRCP Women’s Wing. In 2019, she contested again from the Nagari constituency and won. In 2020, she was appointed Chairperson of the Andhra Pradesh Industrial Infrastructure Corporation.
- 1 charge related to Punishment for criminal intimidation (IPC Section-506)
- 3 charges related to Punishment for wrongful restraint (IPC Section-341)
- 3 charges related to Punishment for Defamation (IPC Section-500)
- 3 charges related to Acts done by several persons in furtherance of common intention (IPC Section-34)
- 2 charges related to Intentional insult with intent to provoke breach of the peace (IPC Section-504)
- 1 charge related to Punishment for Being a member of an unlawful assembly (IPC Section-143)
- 1 charges related to Rioting (IPC Section-146)
- 1 charge related to Assault or criminal force to deter a public servant from discharge of his duty (IPC Section-353)
- 1 charge related to Every member of unlawful assembly guilty of the offence committed in prosecution of a common object (IPC Section-149)
Awards, Honours, Achievements
- She won the Special Jury Award for her Telugu film Sarpayagam (1991) at the Nandi Awards.
- She won the Best Supporting Actress for her Telugu film Anna (1994) at the Nandi Awards.
- She won the Best Actress for her Telugu film Swarnakka (1998) at the Nandi Awards.
- In 1998 she won the Tamil Nadu State Film Award for Best Actress for her Tamil film Unnidathil Ennai Koduthen (1998).
- In 1998, she won the Cinema Express Award for Best Actress for her Tamil film Unnidathil Ennai Koduthen (1998).
- In 2018, she won the ZEE Telugu Apsara Awards for Evergreen Heroine.
Bike Collection/Car collection
Roja Selvamani has a splendid collection of vehicles which includes SUVs, sedans and bikes.
- Mahindra XUV-500 worth 18 Lacs
- Ford Endeavor 2007 worth 14 Lacs
- Chevrolet Cruze 2017 worth 20 Lacs
- Fortuner Car 2018 worth 28 lacs
- Mahindra Scorpio 2015 worth 12 Lacs
- Chevrolet Cruze worth 15 Lacs
- Honda Splender worth Rs. 44,216
Assets & Properties
- Bank Deposits: Rs. 16,69,479
- Motor Vehicles: Rs. 1,08,62,980
- LIC or other insurance Policies: 38,12,896
- Personal loans: 79,48,173
- Non-Agricultural Land: Rs. 2,61,25,669
- Residential Buildings: Rs. 2,02,95,000
Note: The given estimates of movable and immovable assets are according to the year 2017 – 2018. It excludes the assets owned by her husband and dependents.
Roja Selvamani’s net worth for the financial year 2017 – 2018 was estimated to be Rs. 8 crores. It excludes the net worth of her husband and dependents.
- Hobbies: Reading, Travelling, Shopping & Social activities
- Food: South Indian Food, Non Veg Food
- Travel Destination: Kerela, Goa
- In 2010, Roja was nominated for the Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actress for the Telugu film Golimaar (2010).
- Roja has done more than 100 movies in her acting career.
- Born as Sri Latha Reddy, she got her name ‘Roja’ from film director Bharathiraja.