Rahul Chittella is an Indian filmmaker, who has produced many short films. He came to the limelight in 2023 after he directed Gulmohar.
Rahul Venkata Chittella was born in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India. He earned a degree in filmmaking in New York City, the United States of America.
Height (approx.): 5′ 10″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Parents & Siblings
He has a sister.
Wife & Children
Rahul Chittella is married, and he has a son.
Rahul Chittella worked as an assistant director and script supervisor in the 2010 short film Door to Door. In September 2010, Rahul Chittella began working as a creative producer at Mirabai Films in Mumbai. In 2011, Rahul Chittella directed a short film titled Muted. He also wrote the script for the film. In 2016, he worked as a director and a scriptwriter for Shor Se Shuruaat, which is a collection of seven short films. He directed and wrote the script for a 2016 short film Azaad, which was showcased by United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) in Jakarta during the World Press Freedom Day forum. In 2017, Azaad won an award under the Best Short film category at the Indian Film Festival of Houston (IFFH).
In 2023, Rahul Chittella directed his first Hindi feature film Gulmohar. In an interview, he said that it was his wife, who advised him to write a script for a family film. He further said that he decided to make Gulmohar as nowadays not many family films are being made. Talking about it, he said,
I had another script but no actor wanted to do it because it was a two-hero film. I was really frustrated and then my wife told me, just write a family film. That’s what sells. And that’s really the basic inception of Gulmohar. Everyone is making these action-oriented, guns- and expletive-filled films, and in the midst of all of that we have this sweet flower that’s blooming. I hope people enjoy it. It’s true that family films and human dramas are not made as much.”
The film was released on 3 March 2023 on Disney+ Hotstar. Rahul has also worked with Mira Nair in several films including The Reluctant Fundamentalist(2012), Words with Gods (2014), Queen of Katwe(2016), and A Suitable Boy (a 2019 TV series).
On 8 June 2019, he assumed the directorship of Monsoon Indiawaale Llp. On 14 October 2019, he became the director of Cservoe International Llp. He was appointed the director of Autonomous Works Llp on 12 July 2021.
In 2009, Rahul Chittella began working as the director and executive producer for a non-profit organisation named Global Lives Project, India. Thereafter, he went to New York, where he began working with United Nations (UN) in its United Nations Documentary Program.
- In 2010, Rahul Chittella received the ICONGO-CMS Media Citizen Karamveer Puraskar.
- Rahul received the Best Short Film Award for his short film Azaad in 2017 at the Indian Film Festival of Houston (IFFH).
- He has won many awards at various film festivals like the International Film Festivals of Zanzibar and Stuttgart.
- In an interview, Rahul Chittella said he developed an interest in scriptwriting when he was in school. He further said that he used to convert sentences written in Hindi novels into dialogues and record them. Talking about it, he said,
It’s funny how it all began. When I was in school, we were expected to memorise our Hindi literature novels and I used to find it very difficult. Very randomly, one day, I took one of the novels (I think it was called Naya Rasta), started rewriting the text as dialogues between characters and recorded them on my Walkman. I used different voices and also played some random background music on my mini-keyboard.”
- Rahul Chittella follows a non-vegetarian diet.
- Rahul Chittella occasionally consumes alcoholic beverages.
- He passionately follows his hobby of reading.
- Rahul Chittella takes a keen interest in adventure sports, especially skydiving.
- Rahul Chittella is a hodophile (one who likes to travel a lot) and has visited many countries.
- His favourite films include Waqt: The Race Against Time, Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham, Piku, and Hum Aapke Hain Koun.