Preeti Pawar is an Indian boxer. Preeti Pawar was a part of India’s boxing team for the 2022 Asian Games (Hangzhou 2022). She won the bronze medal in the 54 kg boxing rounds. Preeti qualified for the Paris 2024 Summer Olympics.
Preeti Sai Pawar was born on Thursday, 23 October 2003 (age 20 years; as of 2023) in Bhiwani, Haryana. Preeti Pawar’s zodiac sign is Scorpio. Preeti Pawar is enrolled at the Lovely Professional University where she is pursuing a BSc in Health and Physical Education.
Height (approx.): 5′ 5″
Weight (approx.): 54 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Preeti Pawar was born into a Jat family.
Parents & Siblings
Preeti’s father Somveer is an assistant sub-inspector in the Haryana Police. Preeti’s parents have an athletic background.
Preeti Pawar’s paternal uncle, Vinod Sai Pawar is a boxer and national medallist. He runs the boxing academy where Preeti started her training.
When Preeti was 14, her father, Somveer, and uncle, Vinod Pawar encouraged her to join boxing. She was against this idea and initially refused to participate. In an interview, she stated that her response to her father and uncle was,
Main nahi karungi, boxing toh bilkul bhi nahi (Rough translation: I will never take up boxing)”.
6 to 7 months after she started training, she participated in competitions and won medals. In 2021, she joined the Inspire Institute of Sports, which started sponsoring Preeti. Here, she trained under the head coach John Warburton. Preeti participated in the 2023 IBA Women’s World Boxing Championships in which she made a pre-quarterfinal exit.
Preeti Pawar represented India in the 2022 Asian Games (the 19th Asian Games, popularly known as Hangzhou 2022). She took part in a 17-day international training camp held in Wuyishan, China. After the training, she said,
I am absolutely ready. I have sparred with different teams. Based on the kind of sparring [available], I feel I can beat everyone. It was important to adapt to the weather here before the competition. It matters that we are moulded in this weather as well.”
Preeti earned a spot in the 2024 Paris Summer Olympics after defeating Kazakh boxer Zhaina Shekerbekova. This victory led her to the 54 kg women’s boxing semifinal rounds, where she lost 5-0 to Yuan Chang of China. Preeti Pawar is in partnership with JSW Sports.
Awards, Honours, Achievements
- Preeti Pawar won the silver medal in the boxing category during the Khelo India Youth Games (formerly known as Khelo India School Games) in 2020.
- Preeti Pawar won the gold medal in the boxing category during the Khelo India Youth Games (formerly known as Khelo India School Games) in 2021.
- Preeti Pawar won the silver medal for boxing at the Youth Asian Championships in 2021.
- Preeti Pawar won the bronze medal at the 2022 Asian Amateur Boxing Championships in Amman, Jordan.
- Preeti Pawar won the bronze medal for the 54 kg boxing category at the 2022 Asian Games (Hangzhou 2022).
- There weren’t many girls when Preeti Pawar was training in her uncle’s boxing academy. She often used to train with boys and once fell unconscious and had to be taken to the hospital.
- Preeti Pawar is a left-handed boxer.