Nehal Wadhera is an Indian cricketer who has played for Punjab in many domestic competitions. He has represented India Under-19 at international level. He played for Mumbai Indians in the 2023 IPL season and made a name as a power-hitter.
Nehal Wadhera was born on Monday, 4 September 2000 (age 22 years; as of 2022) in Ludhiana, Punjab, India. His zodiac sign is Virgo. He started competing in sports tournaments at the age of eight and started training in cricket under coach Charanjit Bhangu at the age of nine and later under coach Harjinder Singh at the Ludhiana District Cricket Association Stadium. He studied till 10th standard at the Sacred Heart Convent School, Sarabha Nagar, Ludhiana, and attended B. C. M. Arya Model Sr. Sec. School for 11th and 12th standard. He pursued graduation at the Satish Chander Dhawan Government College, Ludhiana, Punjab.
Height (approx.): 5′ 9″
Weight (approx.): 70 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Body Measurements (approx.): Chest 40″, Waist 32″, Biceps 13″
He was born into a middle-class family.
Parents & Siblings
His father’s name is Kamal Wadhera, who is an industrialist. His mother’s name is Gurpreet Wadhera, and she supported him during his initial days. He has an elder sister named Rhythm Wadhera.
Wife & Children
He is unmarried.
He is single.
He started playing cricket for Punjab Under-16 in the 2015-16 season and went on to play for the Punjab Under-19 team in the Vijay Merchant Trophy and Cooch Behar Trophy with 529 runs at an average of 44.08 in the 2017-18 Cooch Behar Trophy.
He was playing for the Ludhiana Under-23 team against the Bathinda Under-23 team in the inter-district championship and scored 578 runs off 414 balls at a strike rate of 139, with 42 fours and 37 sixes following which he was given a cash reward of Rs 51,000.
He made his Ranji debut for Punjab on 3 January 2023 against Gujarat where he score his maiden century with 123 runs. He made his maiden double-century by scoring 214 runs against Madhya Pradesh in the 2022-23 Ranji season.
He played his debut match for Under-19 India on 17 July 2018 against Sri Lanka and scored 82 runs. He later played for India Under-19 A and India Under-19 Green teams.
Indian Premier League (IPL)
Nehal Wadhera was acquired by Mumbai Indians (MI) during the December 2022 auction for the 2023 IPL season for his base price of Rs 20 lakhs. He played his debut IPL match on 2 April 2023 against Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) and scored 21 runs off 13 balls including a 101-meter six which went out of the stadium.
22-year-old, on his debut match, Big 3 of MI top order in dugout & this kid played one of the shots in this IPL.
Nehal Wadhera, brilliant. pic.twitter.com/wKisjarHmh
— Johns. (@CricCrazyJohns) April 2, 2023
He later scored quick and useful runs whenever MI was struggling including 40 runs off 21 balls when MI was at score of 59 runs for 5 wickets against Gujarat Titans (GT) and his maiden T20 half-century with 64 runs off 51 balls when MI was at score of 14 runs for 3 wickets against Chennai Super Kings (CSK).
- His batting style is left-handed, and his bowling style is right-arm leg break.
- He is the third cricketer from Ludhiana to play for India at any level after 1983 World Cup-winning team member Yashpal Sharma and senior player Gagandeep Singh.
- He is the third cricketer from Ludhiana to play in IPL; the first two being Karan Goel and Love Ablish.
- He is also fondly called as new day Yuvraj Singh as his coaches saw glimpses of Yuvraj Singh in his batting.
- He had a scuffle with Arjun Tendulkar during the IPL match against Gujarat Titans when he did not want to take a single; however, Arjun forced him to take the run. Many people criticized Nehal for his attitude.
- He holds the record for scoring the fastest 200, fastest 300, fastest 400, and fastest 500 runs in an innings in cricket (not in first-class or domestic cricket).