Nayani Dixit is an Indian actress, dancer, voice-over artist, and acting mentor. She is known for playing the role of Sonal in the 2013 Bollywood film ‘Queen.’ In 2023, she appeared in the web series ‘United Kachhe,’ featuring Sunil Grover.
Nayani Dixit was born on 13 September in Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh. Her zodiac sign is Virgo. She pursued BA in Hindi Literature and Psychology at P.P.N. College, Kanpur University. After completing her bachelor’s degree in Kanpur, she moved to Delhi, where she started working in radio plays for All India Radio. In 2007, she completed her post-graduation in acting from the Film and Television Institute of India (FTII), Pune, and later moved to Mumbai to pursue her dream of becoming an actress.
Height (approx.): 5′ 6″
Hair Colour: Brown
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
Her father, Vijay Dixit, is a renowned theatre artist and a Sangeet Natak Academy Lifetime Achievement Awardee from Uttar Pradesh. Her mother is a homemaker.
She has an elder sister named Kavya Karthik.
She is unmarried.
She follows Hinduism.
Nayani Dixit made her Bollywood debut with the film ‘Delhi Belly’ (2011) in which she played the role of Ambika. In 2013, she played the role of Sonal in the film ‘Queen’ and received huge accolades from the audience for her performance.
In 2017, she played the role of Abha (Arti’s sister) in the film ‘Shaadi Mein Zaroor Aana.’
Some more films include ‘Special 26’ (2013), ‘Guddu Ki Gun’ (2015), and ‘BHK [email protected]’ (2016).
She made her television debut in 2010 with the TV series ‘Rishta.com’ on Sony Entertainment Television. She played the role of Ragini Deshmukh in the show. In 2014, she played the role of Jagat Gosaini in the TV series ‘Siyaasat,’ which aired on Epic TV.
She has also made some episodic appearances in various shows including Aahat, CID, and Savdhaan India.
Web Series & Short Film
In 2020, Nayani Dixit appeared in season 2 of the web series ‘Abhay,’ which premiered on the OTT platform Zee 5.
In 2023, she played the role of Zareen in the web series ‘United Kacche’ which premiered on Zee 5.
She has also appeared in the short film ‘Strapless,’ (2020) released on the YouTube channel ‘HumaraMovie.’
In 2018, Nayani Dixit accused Vikas Bahl of conducting misbehaviour and harassing her. In an interview, she revealed that Vikas Bahl tried to get closer to her during the shooting of the film ‘Queen.’ She also supported a woman crew member, who alleged Vikas Bahl of sexually harassing her. The actress further added that during the shooting of the film, the cast and crew members were kept at a 2-star hotel, and when she complained the Vikas Bahl about the uneasiness there, he asked her to share a room with him. While talking about this in an interview, Nayani said,
They kept us in a 2-star hotel. When I said that I am not comfortable, Vikas told me that he can share his room with me. Look at his audacity!”
- Book(s): Shrimad Bhagavad Gita, Shee Ramcharitmanas, You Can Heal Your Life, The God Father
- Film(s): Mother India (1957), Sholay (1975), Devdas (1955), Scarface (1983), Scent of a Woman (1992)
- Nayani Dixit wanted to become an actress since childhood. She started acting in theatrical production when she was five years old. In an interview, she revealed that her father was a theatre artist and used to take her to theatre plays along with him, where she got the chance to enact small roles.
- In 2000, she won the beauty pageant ‘Miss Kanpur.’
- She is a trained Kathak dancer from Lucknow Gharana. She often shares her dancing videos on Instagram.
- In an interview, she revealed that earlier she wanted to become a film star, but when she was pursuing her post-graduation at FTII, she realised that she rather wanted to become a method actor.
- Apart from working in films and television shows, she also conducts workshops on acting, speech and diction, and dance across India. She has also conducted many workshops in Dubai and Bahrain.
- She taught acting at Anupam Kher’s academy Whistling Woods, and has also been a guest faculty at FTII in Pune. She has also taught acting to Karan Deol (Sunny Deol‘s son) and former Miss World Manushi Chillar.
- In an interview, she revealed that she tries to promote the Hindi language in her workshops as she believes that the Hindi language has been degraded in Bollywood these days. She said,
We not only train budding actors but also make an effort to promote Hindi as a language, as we might be making films in Hindi but Hindi as a language has degraded in Bollywood films. With my workshops I just want to make an effort to uplift Hindi as a language in Bollywood films.”
- Nayani took a break from acting to avoid playing similar kinds of roles to retain versatility in her acting. In an interview, she said that she started getting similar kind of roles after she played the role of Abha in the film ‘Shaadi Mein Zaroor Aana.’ She said,
After doing Kirti Kharbanda’s sister role in Shaadi Mein Zaroor Aana, I started getting offers of similar roles. As an actor I cannot afford to repeat myself.”
- She has been a part of the jury panel for various beauty pageants such as Femina Miss India 2023, Mrs West India 2019, and Ms India Curvy 2018-19.
- In February 2023, the digital magazine ‘Women Icons of India’ featured her on its cover. The magazine also featured her journey of becoming an actor.
- She often endorses various beauty and skincare products on her social media.
- She is one of the members of the advisory board of an audio platform called ‘Gaatha’ and also narrates stories and poetry on various events.
- She loves to read and collect books.