Naveen William Sidney Andrews is a British-American actor of Indian origin. He is known for his role in the television series “Lost” in which he played the character of ‘Sayid Jarrah’, for which he was also nominated for a Golden Globe Award.
Naveen Andrews was born on Friday, 17 January 1969 (age 54 years, as of 2023) in Lambeth, London. His zodiac sign is Capricorn. He studied at Earlsfield Junior School, London. Later he went to Emanuel School, London to complete his higher education. In 1987, he auditioned for drama school and got accepted at London’s Guildhall School of Music and Drama. Some of his well-known batchmates are ‘Ewan McGregor’ and ‘David Thewlis’.
Height (approx.): 5′ 8″
Weight (approx.): 80kg
Hair Colour: Balck
Eye Colour: Brown
Parents & Siblings
Naveen Andrews’s father, Stanley Andrews was a businessman, and his mother, Nirmala, was a psychologist. His parents were immigrants from Kerala, India. He had an estranged relationship with his parents.
Wife & Children
At the age of 16, Naveen received one-on-one tutoring from Geraldine Feakins, 30-year-old math teacher. She had been married to Norman Feakins, a sales manager, for the last ten years. Naveen had an affair with his teacher. One day, the two were caught by Norman Feakins which led to a divorce between Geraldine Feakins and Norman Feakins. Following their divorce, Naveen and Geraldine lived together for 7 years, from 1985 until 1991. It is not clear if they were married or if they were in a live-in relationship. He has two sons, Jaisal, from his relationship with Geraldine Feakins, and Joshua, from his relationship with Elena Eustache. In 1992, the couple divorced/ separated, prior to the birth of their child, Jaisal Andrews.
In 1998, Naveen began dating an American actress Barbara Hershey.
In 2005, the two broke up for a brief duration, and during that time Naveen had a son with Elena Eustache, a Czech-French actress. Naveen and Barbara later reconciled, but then again broke up in 2010. In 2009, following a long custody battle with Elena Eustache over their son, he was given his son’s sole legal and physical custody.
Naveen Andrews was raised as a methodist.
Westlake Village, CA, USA
Naveen’s acting career began when he auditioned for drama school, earning a place at the esteemed Guildhall School of Music and Drama.
In 1991, he secured a role in Hanif Kureshi’s film ‘London Kills Me’. This film marked the beginning of his career as an actor. In 1992, he played the role of Zaf, in the film ‘Wild West’ for which he was nominated as the Most Promising Newcomer by the Evening Standard Drama Awards. In 1996, he played the role of Kip Singh in ‘The English Patient’, a film that ranked as the 55th-greatest British film of the 20th century by The British Film Institute. In 2007, he played the role of ‘Dr. John Abby’ in ‘Planet Terror’, an American horror comedy film. He is also known for his role as ‘Dr. Hasnat Khan’ in the film ‘Diana’, a 2013 biographical drama film that depicts the last two years of the princess’s life. He has featured in various other films like ‘Mighty Joe Young’ (1998), ‘Bride and Prejudice’ (2004). In 2014, he was the voice artist for the video game ‘Far Cry 4’.
In 1993, Naveen Andrews starred as the main character, Karim Amir, in a television serial, The Buddha of Suburbia, for which he was nominated for the best actor at the San Remo Film Festival. In 2004, he played the role of, Sayid Jarrah, a former Iraqi military officer with a dark past, in a globally acclaimed television series ‘Lost’ (2004–10).
He also starred in the series ‘Once Upon a Time in Wonderland’ (2013-14), ‘Sense8’ (2015-2017), ‘Instinct’ (2018-2019). In 2022, he played the role of ‘Ramesh Sunny Balwani’ in a mini-series titled ‘The Dropout’ which is an American biographical drama that documents the biotechnology company Theranos and its founder, Elizabeth Holmes.
Awards, Honours, Achievements
- In 2005, he was nominated for the Primetime Emmy Award, in the category ‘Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series’ for his work in the TV series ‘Lost’.
- His role in ‘Lost’ also earned him a nomination for the Golden Globe Award, in the category ‘Best Supporting Actor – Television’ in 2006.
- In 2006, he won the Screen Actors Guild Award in the category ‘Outstanding Ensemble in a Drama Series’, for his work in the TV series ‘Lost’.
- In 2006, he was voted one of the People magazine’s ‘World’s Most Beautiful People’.
- In 2022, he was nominated by the Hollywood Critics Association, in the category ‘Best Supporting Actor in a Limited Series or Movie’, for his work in the mini-series ‘The Dropout’.
Naveen Andrews owns a Porsche.
- In the mid-90s, Naveen Andrews struggled with alcoholism and drug addiction. He stopped the intake of any kind of intoxicant and started to live a sober life once he moved to Los Angeles from London.
- Naveen Andrews is a fan of country music. In his leisure time, Andrews enjoys playing the guitar, singing, and tap dancing.
- He obtained his U.S. citizenship in 2010.
- He has never seen his own show, ‘Lost’.
- He is a fan of Chelsea FC (England football club).