Mukesh Singh is a 1996-batch Indian Police Service (IPS) officer of the AGMUT cadre. He is a decorated cop who has won numerous medals for gallantry for his service in Jammu and Kashmir. Singh hit the headlines in September 2023 after he was appointed as the Inspector General (IG) of the Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP).
Mukesh Singh was born on Sunday, 24 January 1971 (age 52 years; as of 2023) in Bokaro Steel City, Bihar (now in Jharkhand), India. His zodiac sign is Aquarius. After completing his schooling in Bihar, he pursued a bachelor’s degree in technology. After completing his formal education, Singh appeared for the UPSC civil services examination and managed to clear it. Thereafter, he reported at the Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel National Police Academy (SVPNPA) in Hyderabad, Telangana, where he underwent a police training module.
Height (approx.): 5′ 10″
Weight (approx.): 65 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Parents & Siblings
His father’s name is Upindra Prasad Singh. There is not much information about his mother and siblings.
Wife & Children
His marital status is not known.
Mukesh Singh was commissioned as an IPS officer from SVPNPA on 4 September 1996 and was allotted the AGMUT cadre. After this, he was posted to Reasi, where he was appointed as the Superintendent of Police (SP).
He was later sent as SP in Pulwama at a time when militancy was at its peak in Jammu and Kashmir. There, he played a notable role in assisting the Indian forces in their counter-terrorist efforts. Singh was later appointed as the commandant of the 7th Battalion of the Indian Reserve Police (IRP) in Kainkh, Jammu & Kashmir. Afterwards, he held the position of an SP in Srinagar and Poonch. Upon getting promoted to the rank of Senior Superintendent Of Police (SSP), Mukesh Singh was sent to New Delhi on a central deputation. There, he was appointed as the Chief Security Officer (CSO) of the National Human Rights Commission India (NHRC). Later, he was posted to Jammu as an SSP. He was given the charge of the J&K Armed Police after getting promoted to the rank of Inspector General of Police (IGP). Thereafter, he was posted to the Police Headquarters (PHQ) as IGP (Personnel).
In 2018, Singh went on another central deputation to the National Investigation Agency (NIA). There, he initially served as IGP Investigation, but later on, he was appointed as the IGP Crime J&K. At NIA, he played a vital role in curbing the separatist activities in Kashmir by disrupting the funds that the separatists received from abroad. On 14 August 2019, he was appointed as the IGP of Jammu Zone and played an important part in planning the operation that led to the killing of a notorious militant named Tahir Ahmed Bhat, leading to Shopian and Kishtwar regions of Kashmir being declared terror-free zones for the first time since the 1980s. On 20 January 2021, Mukesh received a promotion and became the Additional Director General of Police (ADGP).
In September 2023, he was appointed as the Inspector General of the Indo-Tibetan Border Police by the Government of India. He will serve in this role until 2027. The official statement of the Indian government read,
The undersigned is directed to refer to UT Division’s OM No. 14023/03/2022- UTS-Idated 18.09.2023 on the subject mentioned above and to convey the approval of the competent authority for the appointment of Shri Mukesh Singh, IPS (AGMUT :1996) as Inspector General (Level-14 in the Pay Matrix) in Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) against existing vacancy on deputation basis for a period of five years from the date of assumption of the charge of the post or until further orders, whichever is earlier. It is requested to relieve Shri Mukesh Singh, IPS (AGMUT:1996) immediately to enable him to take up his new assignments at the Centre.”
- DGP’s Commendation Medal (1999)
- Sher-e- Kashmir Police Medal for Gallantry (2002)
- Police Medal for Gallantry (2003)
- Army Commander Commendation Medal (2005)
- Police Medal for Gallantry (2005)
- Police Medal for Gallantry (Second time; 2005)
- Police Medal for Meritorious Services (2012)
- Mukesh Singh is a fitness enthusiast, and he has participated in many marathons including Airtel Delhi Half Marathon.
- In 2018, while serving as IGP NIA, Singh accepted Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s Fit India Challenge. He also nominated his fellow officers in the NIA for the fitness challenge.
I am Mukesh Singh , age 47 yrs, IG NIA and accept the fitness challenge of the honourable Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi #FitnessChallenge. I would like to nominate all officers of the rank of SP and above in NIA to accept the challenge #FitnessChallenge pic.twitter.com/Yh5bwpzloB
— Mukesh Singh (@MukeshSinghIPS) June 13, 2018
- He loves playing cricket, football, and hockey.
- His favourite football player is Kylian Mbappé.
- He passionately follows his hobby of reading.
- In 2022, Singh implemented a curriculum according to which high-ranking officers of the JKP were asked to teach students different subjects in government schools. He taught mathematics to the students in a school. In an interview, he talked about it and said,
We have sent them a circular, asking for their preference of subject, time for teaching and day of the week they can teach. They are given books for prior reading before they start to teach.”
- He occasionally consumes alcoholic beverages.
- He has authored many books including Curse of the Pir (2023) and POLICE OPERATIONS (2015).