Mohammed Afsal is an Indian athlete and Sergeant in the Indian Air Force. Afsal won the 800m silver medal at the 2022 Asian Games in Hangzhou, China.
Mohammed Afsal Pulikkalakath was born on Saturday, 3 February 1996 (age 27 years; as of 2023) in Palappuram, Ottapalam town, Palakkad district, Kerala. His zodiac sign is Aquarius. Afsal did his schooling in the Parli Higher Secondary School located in Parli, Palakkad. Afsal received 87% for his Higher Secondary (plus two education, 2nd year) exams. Mohammed Afsal is represented by the Reliance Foundation Youth Sports program. Afsal’s nutrition partner is Proathlix, an Indian sports and nutrition brand.
Height: 5′ 3″
Weight: 48 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Brown
Parents & Siblings
Afsal’s father’s name is Muhammed Basheer Pulikkalakath. Afsal has an older brother.
Mohammed Afsal follows Islam.
Mohammed Afsal became known to the public after his win at the first-ever Asian School Track and Field Championships held in Kautun, Pahang, Malaysia, in 2013. He headed the Indian students contingent in this competition. In an interview after the race, Afsal thanked his coach P. G. Manoj (Parli school coach), and said,
I did not foresee any trouble despite Rahul and the Malaysian ahead me. I went according to the strategy. I know there is roon for improvement. I hope to make it to the world junior meet next year.”
Afsal went on to participate in State championships, inter-state championships, the 2015 Thiruvananthapuram National Games and so on, where he won several medals. News channels started following the athletes’ races. By 2015, Afsal had won 26 gold medals, 2 silver, and 2 bronze medals at the state level. He won 12 gold medals, 2 silver medals, and 3 bronze medals at the national level. Afsal also won 2 gold medals, 1 silver medal, and 1 bronze medal at the international level. Afsal’s wins in the national and international races led to him being offered a job by the Air Force in 2015 which he accepted. Afsal is a Sergeant with the Indian Air Force.
Afsal’s silver medal win at the 62nd National Inter-State Senior Athletics Championship 2023 led him to be qualified to participate in the 2022 Asian Games. Afsal represented India at the 2022 Asian Games and won the country a silver medal in the Men’s 800m race. Saudi Arabia’s Essa Ali Kzwani beat Afsal by 0.39 seconds.
— Indian Air Force (@IAF_MCC) October 3, 2023
- 2017: Afsal set a personal record of 3:46.48 (minutes:seconds:milliseconds) for a 1500m race.
- 2023: Afsal set a personal record of 1:46.17 for an 800m race.
- 2023: Afsal set a personal record of 47.46 for a 400m race.
- 2013: Asian School Track and Field Championships at Kautun, Pahang, Malaysia.
- 2019: 800m run at the Qasanov Memorial Meet at Almaty, Kazakhstan.
- 2019: 800m race at the Tatyana Kolpakova Memorial International Athletics Meet in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan.
- 2022: 800m race at the Watford Open Graded Meeting during an exposure trip in Europe in May.
- 2022: 800m race at the Belfast International EAP Meet, Mary Peters Track, in Belfast in May.
- 2022: 800m race at the National Games held in Gujarat in October.
- 2016: 800m race at the 66th Inter Services Athletics Championship.
- 2019: 800m race at the South Asian Games in Kathmandu, Nepal.
- 2023: 800m race at the 26th National Federation Cup Senior Athletics Championships held in Birsa Munda Foot Ball Stadium, Morabadi, Ranchi, in May.
- 2023: 800m race at the 62nd National Inter-State Senior Athletics Championship held in June.
- 2023: 800m race at the 2022 Asian Games in Hangzhou, China.
- 2018: 800m race at the Patiala Federation Cup.
- 2018: 800m race at the Guwahati Inter State Championships.
- 2023: 800m race at the IFAM Oordegem, Putbosstadion, in Oordegem, Belgium.
- Mohammed Afsal holds the 96th World Ranking position for the Men’s 800m category as of 2023.
- Mohammed Afsal holds the 1623th World Ranking position in the Men’s Overall Ranking category as of 2023.
Mohammed Afsal owns a Hyosung GTR.
- Mohammed Afsal dedicated his silver medal from the 2022 Asian Games to his family and coach.
- Afsal enjoys going on swims.
- In an interview, Mohammed Afsal mentioned that he was eager to get a tweet from Prime Minister (PM) Narendra Modi congratulating Afsal, and was grateful for the PM’s support. He also stated that he was really excited to meet PM Narendra Modi. On 3 October 2023, PM tweeted his congratulations to Mohammed Afsal for his silver medal win at the 2022 Asian Games.
Congratulations Mohammed Afsal Pulikkalakath for clinching the Silver Medal in the Men’s 800m Asian Games event.
His hard work and resilience have paid off. India is rejoicing and celebrating this success.
Well done! pic.twitter.com/9FizgVwVN8
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) October 3, 2023
- Mohammed Afsal follows a non-vegetarian diet.