Marizanne Kapp is a South African cricketer who is the first cricketer to take a hat-trick in a Women’s Twenty20 International match from South Africa. In 2023, she was bought by Delhi Capitals for the World Premier League. She is a right-hand batsman and right-arm medium bowler.
Marizanne Kapp was born on Thursday, 4 January 1990 (age 33 years; as of 2023) in Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape, South Africa. Her zodiac sign is Capricorn. She completed her schooling at Hoërskool D.F. Malherbe, Port Elizabeth, South Africa. She pursued an HR degree at the University of South Africa, Pretoria, South Africa. Her family was into fitness before she was born. She used to take part in all sports in her school. To maintain the fitness of her and her younger sister, her father used to take them for a sprint every night, swimming in the morning and running during the day. Since childhood, she was taught the importance of fitness because of this even she became a fitness freak. In school and neighbourhood, she used to play rugby, soccer and many other sports with the boys. In an interview, she referred to herself as a tomboy. Before choosing cricket as her game, she used to play all the other sports. She even represented Eastern Province in many sports. According to her, cricket is not just about bowling, it has also taught her a lot of things including bowling, batting and fielding. After completing her schooling, her mother told her to start working. She wanted to join the South African team, but at that time, there was no money provided to the players. When she was a child, her parents split up, so she always desired to keep the family together and not have fights with them. She always gives credit for her success to her parents who taught her to work hard.
Height (approx.): 5′ 7″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
Marizanne’s father’s name is Pieter Kapp, who is a businessman.
Her mother’s name is Nereda Lamprecht.
She has two sisters, Zania Nortje, and Lee Zaan Seaman, who is a social media influencer.
Wife & Children
Marizanne got married to her teammate Dané Van Niekerk on 6 July 2018.
She is a Lesbian.
She follows Christianity.
In 2012, she played the CSA Women’s Provincial League for the Northern women’s team and scored 106 runs against Western Province.
In November 2018, she was selected for Sydney Sixers’ squad for the 2018–19 Women’s Big Bash League season.
In September 2019, she was selected for the Duchesses, previously known as M van der Merwe XI, for the inaugural edition of the Women’s T20 Super League in South Africa. In 2021, she became part of Oval Invincibles for the inaugural season of The Hundred tournament.
In April 2022, in the final match, she became the Player of the Match in the 2022 season of The Hundred in England. In May 2022, she became part of the Falcons team for the FairBreak Invitational T20 in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. She scored 67 runs including six fours and two sixes in the final match against the Tornadoes’ team. She received the player of the match in the tournament, but the team did not win the tournament.
In December 2017, she was named to the ICC Women’s ODI Team. In March 2018, she was included in the list of fourteen players who signed a national contract with Cricket South Africa for the 2018–19 season. In September 2018, she took her 100th wicket in the WODI against West Indies. In October 2018, she was selected for the 2018 ICC Women’s World Twenty20 tournament in West Indies for the South African team. In the tournament, she became the leading run-scorer for South Africa scoring 98 runs in four matches.
In May 2019, she played the 100th WODI match against Pakistan becoming the third player from South Africa to do so.
In January 2020, she was selected for South Africa’s squad for the 2020 ICC Women’s T20 World Cup in Australia.
On 23 July 2020, she was among 24 other women who were called for training in Pretoria before the England tour. In February 2022, she was picked for the South African squad for the 2022 Women’s Cricket World Cup in New Zealand. In March 2022, in the World Cup, in a match against England, she took her first five wickets. In June 2022, she scored 150 runs including her first century in a test match against England. She became the first player to score the highest individual score for South Africa in a women’s Test match.
In July 2022, she became part of the South African team for the Commonwealth Games in Birmingham, England, but left the tournament in between because her brother-in-law had an accident and her nephews were also sick.
World Premier League
In February 2023, she was bought by Delhi Capitals for Rs. 1.5 crore in the World Premier League.
- 2009-2022: Most runs conceded in a career (3652) in Women’s One-Day Internationals
- 2009-2022: Most balls bowled in a career (5748) in Women’s One-Day Internationals
- 2009-2022: Bowler/fielder combinations (28) in Women’s One-Day Internationals
- 2011-2019: Most wickets on a single ground (17) in Women’s One-Day Internationals
- 2012: Most catches in an inning (3) in Women’s Twenty20 Internationals
- 2013: Most runs in an inning (69) in Women’s One-Day Internationals
- 2014-2016/17: 250 runs and 10 wickets in a series in Women’s One-Day Internationals
- 2022: Most runs in an inning (150) in Women’s Test matches
- 2022: Oldest player to score a maiden hundred in Women’s Test matches
- 2022: Oldest player to take a maiden five-wickets-in-an-innings in Women’s One-Day Internationals
- 2023: Highest partnership for the sixth wicket (128*) in Women’s One-Day Internationals
Awards, Honours, Achievements
- 2014: Women’s Cricketer of the Year award at the Cricket South Africa (CSA) Awards
- June 2022: ICC Player of The Month
- Sydney Sixers (2015–2020)
- Surrey Stars (2016–2019)
- Australian Capital Territory (2017)
- Oval Invincibles (2021-present)
- Perth Scorchers (2021-present)
- Delhi Capitals (2023–present)
- She is known by the name Kappie by her teammates.
- Her jersey number for the South Africa team is # 7 and for WPL it is # 77.
- She got training under Hilton Moreeng.
- Her hobbies include gymming and spending time with her nieces.
- In 2018, Kapp and her wife became the first married couple to bat together in an ICC tournament where they made a partnership of 67 runs.
- In February 2023, she was granted compassionate leave by Cricket South Africa from South Africa’s T20 squad for the T20 tri-series against India because her wife Dane van Niekerk could not clear the fitness test and she was not included in the squad. Kapp took to Twitter to thank Cricket South Africa and said,
Emotional couple of days, I am a wife FIRST and then a cricketer. Thank you CSA for affording me the opportunity to be home to support my wife and see the family, as I mentally refresh and prepare for the T20 World Cup. It has always been my biggest honour to represent my country.”
- In 2022, when she won the ICC player of the month award, she talked about it and said,
It really means a lot for me to win the ICC Women’s Player of the Month award, especially being up against two absolutely brilliant players in Shabnim Ismail and Nat Sciver. What made my first Test century so special was that number one, our first Test match (in 2014) was an absolute nightmare. Then having to play another one after eight years where I had minimum preparation for the Test match because I was unwell and then finding my team in the position we were in at 45 for four, it is something that will stay with me throughout my career.”
- She was found Covid positive four times in 2021.
- In an interview, she said that before going to any match, she practices batting on 3000 balls and bowls 3000 times.
- She often posts pictures of herself drinking alcohol on social media.