Manmohan Singh is an Indian Film Director and Cinematographer. He has worked along with Yash Raj Chopra for many superhit Bollywood movies like Chandni (1989), Lamhe (1991), Darr (1993), Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge (1995), Dil To Pagal Hai (1997), and Mohabbatein (2000). He is renowned as a groundbreaking director in Punjabi film Industry in addition to his Bollywood career as a cinematographer. Pehla Pehla Pyar, his debut Hindi film, was released in 1994 and Jee Ayan Nu, his first Punjabi feature film, was released in 2003.
Manmohan Singh was born in 1932 (91 Years old; as of 2023) in village Neza Dela Kalan, district Sirsa, Haryana. He worked as a Film director in Punjabi movies and Cinematographer in Bollywood movies. His first major project was Sunny Deol’s debut movie Betaab (1983). He then worked on many films like Lekin (1990), Lamhe (1991), Chaalbaaz (1989) in the early 1990s. Manmohan Singh began directing Punjabi movies in the 2000s. After directing Jee Ayan Nu, his debut Punjabi movie, in 2003, he went on to produce Munde U.K. De, Mera Pind, and Dil Apna Punjabi.
Singh directed many movies in Punjabi Film Industry like Nasibo (1993), Jee Aayan Nu (2002), Asa Nu Maan Watna Da (2004), Yaaran Naal Baharan (2005), Dil Apna Punjabi (2006), Mitti Wajaan Maardi (2007), Mera Pind (2008), Munde U.K. De (2009), Ik Kudi Punjab Di (2010), Ajj De Ranjhe (2012), Aa Gaye Munde U.K. De (2014), PR (2022).
He also Produced multiple movies like Mera Pind (2008), Ik Kudi Punjab Di (2010), Honour Killing (2014), Hate Story 2 (2014)
The list of movies on which singh worked as a cinematographer includes Chann Pardesi (Punjabi) (1981), Betaab (1983), Preeti (Punjabi) (1986), Ucha Dar Babe Nanak Da (Punjabi) (1987), Vijay (1988), Waaris (1988), Souten Ki Beti (1989), Chandni (1989), Chaalbaaz (1989), Jeene Do (1990), Lekin… (1990), Sanam Bewafa (1991), Insaaf Ki Devi (1992), Yaad Rakhegi Duniya (1992), Apradhi (1992), Parampara (1993), Darr (1993), Nasibo (1994), Dushmani: A Violent Love Story (1995), Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge (1995), Maachis (1996), Aur Pyaar Ho Gaya (1997), Dil To Pagal Hai (1997), Jab Pyaar Kisise Hota Hai (1998), Hu Tu Tu (1999), Mohabbatein (2000), Albela (2001), Filhaal (2002), Kash Aap Hamare Hote (2003), Woh Tera Naam Tha (2004), Sarhad Paar (2006), Ik Kudi Punjab Di (2010)
- Manmohan Singh won two Filmfare Awards for Best Cinematography in 1990 for Chandni and in 1994 for the Bollywood movie Darr.
- In 2001, he won Sansui Viewers Choice Best Cinematographer for the Bollywood movie Mohabbatein.
- He won Lux Zee Cine Awards for best Cinematographer for Dil To Pagal Hai in 1998.
- Manmohan Singh was awarded with the lifetime achievement award at PTC Punjabi Film Awards in 2019.
- He is called by the name ‘Man ji’ by his friends and colleagues in the Punjabi Film industry.
- Apart from being director and cinematographer he also sang multiple Bollywood songs Like Mere Pyaar Ki Umar for the Bollywood movie Waris along with Lata Mangeshkar and Jeene De Yeh Duniya Chaahe Maar Daale from the Bollywood movie Laava (1985) with Asha Bhosle.
- Not many people know this but he was on the top of his career in Bollywood as a cinematographer when he decided to leave it behind and come back to make progress in Punjabi Film Industry.
- Manmohan Singh along with Harbhajan Mann were responsible for the success of Punjabi Film Industry in 2000s.
- In an interview, he talked about Sridevi in the movie chandni and said,
We knew from the title and the story of a beautiful girl that we wanted to give the effect of a moonlit night and her beauty. It’s much easier with a good actress like Sridevi“