Manjot Singh is an Indian actor who is known for appearing in the Hindi films ‘Oye Lucky! Lucky Oye!’ (2008) and ‘Fukrey’ (2013).
Manjot Singh aka Manjot Oberoi was born on Tuesday, 7 July 1992 (age 30 years; as of 2023) in New Delhi, India. His zodiac sign is Cancer.
He did his schooling at Hillwoods Academy Preet Vihar, New Delhi. He pursued his graduation with correspondence from Delhi University, New Delhi. In an interview, while talking about his education, he said,
I did my graduation through correspondence from DU. I got admission in Hindu College, but unfortunately, for some reason, they hadn’t released the list for Dramatics (Extra-curricular activities) quota. And when they called me again for auditions, I was shooting for Student of The Year (2012). So, I couldn’t go for it and lost the opportunity. Everyone tells me that I missed my college life.”
Height (approx.): 5′ 9″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
He belongs to a Punjabi Sikh family.
Parents & Siblings
His father, Paramjot Singh, is an engineer and businessman. His mother, Amrit Kaur Singh, is a housemaker. His elder brother, Sehebjot Singh, works in Australia.
Manjot has been dating a girl named Ayesha for a few years.
In 2008, he made his Bollywood debut with the film ‘Oye Lucky! Lucky Oye!’ in which he played the role of young Lovinder ‘Lucky’ Singh (played by Abhay Deol).
He has appeared in many popular Hindi films like ‘Udaan’ (2010), ‘Student Of The Year’ (2012), ‘Fukrey’ (2013), ‘Fukrey Returns’ (2017), and ‘Dream Girl’ (2019).
In 2012, he made his Punjabi film debut with ‘Pure Punjabi’ in which he played the role of Param.
Manjot has acted in various Hindi web series such as ‘College Romance’ (2018; Netflix & Sony LIV), ‘Made in Heaven’ (2019; Amazon Prime Video), ‘Zindagi inShort’ (2020; Flipkart Video), and ‘Chutzpah’ (2021; Sony LIV).
Manjot has also acted in a few Hindi short films like ‘Zoya’ (2016), ‘Dream 1 Gurwinder’ (2019), and ‘Boom Boom’ (2020).
Manjot has been featured in TV commercials for various brands like Coca-Cola and Maggi Noodles.
In 2010, he participated in the reality TV show ‘Khatron Ke Khiladi,’ which aired on Colors TV.
- Eating Spot(s): Khan Market, Connaught Place, and Cyber Hub in Gurgaon
- Food: Gobi ka Paratha, Saag, Boondi ka Raita
- Colour(s): Black, White, Red, Blue
- Sport(s): Cricket, Football
- He once shared that in childhood, he dreamt of becoming a banker.
- In an interview, Manjot shared that initially, he was rejected in the audition round for the Hindi film ‘Oye Lucky! Lucky Oye!’ (2008). He said,
I had never acted before, even in school plays. After the audition for ‘Oye Lucky! Lucky Oye!, the casting director rejected me for the role. However, Dibakar Banerjee insisted on casting me even though the casting director wasn’t convinced, I just put my foot down.”
Later, for preparing the role, Manjot (who played young Lucky Singh in the film which was played by Abhay Deol) went for a week-long acting workshop in Manali, Himachal Pradesh. He learnt the walking style of the Indian actor Abhay Deol and even used a cheek pad so that his jaw would look like Abhay Deol’s jaw.
- In 2009, he received Filmfare Critics Award for the Best Actor category for the movie ‘Oye Lucky! Lucky Oye!’
- He is an avid animal lover and often shares pictures with cats and dogs on his Instagram account.
- Manjot has been supporting various NGOs for a very long time.
- Manjot once shared that he was once rejected by a casting director for wearing a turban. He shared that the casting director said,
Since you’re a sardar, it’s quite difficult for us to search a role for you. Just because I’m a sardar doesn’t mean I’m funny all the time.”
He further shared that at the beginning of his career, he got offers of many films, but after his film ‘Fukrey’ was released, he did not have any good work for almost two years. He said,
After Fukrey, I think ek time aaya tha ke mere paas do saal tak kaam nahi tha (there was time when I did not get work for two years). So, the offers that were coming I didn’t wish to do and things I wanted to do, weren’t coming my way. I was not satisfied with the offers I was getting. So that was a phase where I felt easy nahi hai (it’s not easy). Sitting at home, I was studying and at the same time I was getting films. I was earning good money too, (I thought) life is amazing. But reality check tab pata chalta (you get a reality check) when you have to wait for the right thing.”
- Apart from acting, he has a keen interest in interior designing.
- In his leisure time, he loves to go on long drives and listen to music.