Karan Brar is an Indian American actor who is known for starring in the Diary of a Wimpy Kid trilogy, and a Disney Channel series, called ‘Bunk’d’.
Karan Brar was born on Monday, 18 January 1999 (age 24 years; as of 2023) in Redmond, Washington, USA. His zodiac sign is Capricorn. He graduated from Oak Park High School, California in 2017.
He was simultaneously studying acting at John Robert Powers and Patti Kalle’s workshops.
Height (approx.): 5′ 8″
Weight (approx.): 75kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Brown
Parents & Siblings
Karan Brar’s father, Harinder Brar works in a real estate company. His mother’s name is Jasbinder Brar. He has an elder sister named Sabreena Sandhu.
Karan Brar is dating Sophie Reynolds since 2016. She is an American actress who is known for her role in ”L.A.’s Finest” television series.
Los Angeles, California
Karan Brar was 8 years old when he signed his first commercial. He has also been a part of Shell Gasoline commercials. In 2010, he was a part of the advertising campaign titled “Seeds of Compassion”, whose target was to announce the Dalai Lama’s visit to Seattle.
He landed his first role in a film in 2010, in which he played the role of an Indian middle school boy, Chirag Gupta. It was a film produced by “20th Century Fox” production company and is a comedy feature film based on the New York Times best-selling book series called ‘Diary of a Wimpy Kid’.
To attain proficiency and develop an Indian accent for this role, he worked with a dialect coach. He also appeared in the sequel films; Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules”  and “Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days” . In 2012, he was cast in a film, Chilly Christmas in which he played the role of “Caps”. In 2014, he was the voice-over artist for the film, ‘Mr. Peabody & Sherman’ which is an animated science fiction comedy film. In 2018, he appeared in a science-fiction film, “Pacific Rim Uprising”, where he played the role of ‘Suresh’, a new cadet for the Jaeger pilot program. To prepare for this role, Karan Brar followed a particular diet, that was required to maintain his physique and took stunt and fight training lessons.
In his latest work, Brar voiced the character of ‘Jay’ in the 2023 American animated superhero film, “Batman: The Doom That Came to Gotham” produced by Warner Bros. Animation.
In 2011, he had the opportunity to work in one of the Disney Channel’s comedy series titled ‘Jessie’, in which he played the role of a 10-year-old Indian child, Ravi Ross, who is an adopted child in a super-rich family trying to maintain his Indian values and culture. Originally, Ravi’s character was a boy from South America, but the directors were so mesmerised by Brar’s audition that they had to change the main role from a South American boy, Javier to an Indian boy, Ravi in order to accommodate him in the series.
His role in ‘Jessie’ helped him gain exposure to the world of comedy, which soon became his forte. From 2015-2018, he played the role of Ravi Ross alongside Peyton List, Skai Jackson and Miranda May in the series ‘Bunk’d’, which is a more developed version of his previous series ‘Jessie’. Brar voiced the character of ‘Prince Zandar’ in “Sofia the First” animated children’s series. In 2020, he played minor roles in various movies such as; Stargirl, The Fuck-It List, The Argument, and Hubie Halloween. He has appeared for a short duration in various other series such as; Pair of Kings, Teens Wanna Know, Pass the Plate, Lab Rats, Chasing LA, The Night Shift, Youth & Consequences, Champions, Schooled, and Epic Night. From 2020-22, he voiced the main character of the “Mira, Royal Detective” series.
Awards, Honours, Achievements
- Karan Brar won the ‘Young Artist Award’ in 2011, in the category ‘Best Performance in a Feature Film-Young Ensemble Cast’, for his work in the film ‘Diary of a Wimpy Kid’. In 2013, he won the same award, in the same category for his work in ‘Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days’.
- He won the ‘Young Artist Award’ in 2012, in the category ‘Best Performance in a TV Series- Supporting Young Actor’, for his work in the TV series ‘Jessie’.
- In 2014, he was nominated for the ‘NAACP Image Award’ in the category ‘Outstanding Performance in a Youth/Children’s Program’ for his work in ‘Jessie’.
- In 2018, he was awarded the ‘Young Entertainer Award’ for his hit television series, ‘Bunk’d’ in the category ‘Best Young Ensemble- Television Series’.
- Karan Brar has a tattoo on his arm, of his late friend Cameron Mica Boyce (May 28, 1999 – July 6, 2019) who was an American actor. He died due to SUDEP (Sudden Unexpected Death in Epilepsy Patients). Karan Brar regularly raises awareness about the Cameron Boyce Foundation through his social media accounts, which aims to cure epilepsy through funding research, education and awareness campaigns.
- Karan Brar is an ambassador of a non-profit organization called the ‘Thirst Project’, which aims at bringing safe drinking water facilities to communities around the world where it is not immediately available.
- In 2014, during the annual White House Easter Egg Roll celebration, Karan Brar had the opportunity to have dinner with the former President of the United States, Barack Obama along with Michelle Obama.
- Karan Brar did a cameo in one of Lilly Singh’s YouTube videos, titled “How I Deal With Kids” which gathered around six million views in just a week of its release.
- He adopted a cat in 2020, and named him ‘Max’.
- In his leisure time, Karan likes to travel and hang out with his friends. He is often seen taking beach trips and hiking with friends, through his Instagram.