Kaneez Fatima is an Indian politician and member of the Indian National Congress (INC) who was elected as MLA from Gulbarga Uttar in Karnataka in 2018. She was the wife of INC politician late Qamar ul Islam, a six-time Member of the Karnataka Legislative Assembly.
Kaneez Fatima was born on Friday, 21 August 1959 (age 63 years; as of 2022) in Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, (now Hyderabad, Telangana) India. His zodiac sign is Leo. She is a 12th pass from Government Junior College, Nampally in Hyderabad.
Height (approx.): 5′ 3″
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
Not much is known about her parents and siblings.
Husband & Children
Qamar ul Islam was elected as the MLA from Gulbarga Assembly constituency in 1978, 1989, 1994, and 1999 and Gulbarga Uttar in 2008 and 2013. Qamar and Kaneez adopted a son, Faraz ul Islam.
In 2018, Kaneez Fatima won the Gulbarga Uttar constituency, defeating BJP candidate Chandrakant Patil by 5,940 votes. In 2023, Kaneez retained the seat defeating BJP candidate Chandrakant Patil by 2,712.
Accused of Land Encroachment
In 2012, the Assistant Commissioner of Gulbarga nullified the purchase of 22 acres of agricultural land by Kaneez Fatima in Gulbarga. Former minister S K Kantha had filed a complaint alleging that the purchase was illegal and violated Karnataka Land Reforms Act, 1961. The Act prohibited the purchase of agricultural land by any person other than an agriculturist. It also stated that the annual income of the purchaser or his/her family or of the undivided family from non-agricultural activities should not exceed Rs two lakh, for five years preceding the year of purchase. In his report to the Assistant Commissioner, the Gulbarga tehsildar stated that Qamar ul Islam ran schools and owned commercial complexes, hence, the income of Fatima exceeded Rs two lakh per annum. The Assistant Commissioner set aside the purchase of land by Fatima with an observation that the purchaser had violated the provisions of the Karnataka Land Reforms Act and directed the tehsildar to take over the land and mention the Karnataka Government as the owner of the land.
Assets & Properties
- Deposits in Banks: Rs. 67,06,598
- Bonds, Debentures and Shares in companies: Rs. 2,62,500
- Motor Vehicles: Rs. 27,20,000
- Jewellery: Rs. 2,76,93,579
- Commercial Buildings: Rs. 12,46,85,000
- Residential Buildings: Rs. 2,18,00,000
Note: The given estimates of moveable and immovable assets are according to the financial years 2022-23. It does not include the assets owned by her spouse and dependents.
Her worth in 2023 was Rs. 18,35,14,229. It does not include the net worth of her spouse and dependents.
- Initially, Fatima refused to contest the 2018 Karnataka Legislative Assembly elections, but she was persuaded by CM Siddaramaiah, Mallikarjun Kharge, and KPCC chief G Parameshwara.
- In 2019, she actively protested against the Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA). MLA Kaneez Fathima was the major catalyst in mobilising the crowd in Kalaburagi that defied the Section 144 notification imposed on the entire state of Karnataka. The Citizenship (Amendment) Act received a lot of criticism for discriminating on the basis of religion, as the protesters believed that CAA was communal and discriminated against the followers of Islam.
- In 2022, Kaneez made headlines as one of the few Congress leaders who actively protested along with Muslim female students during the anti-hijab ban movement when the Karnataka BJP government banned girls and women from wearing hijabs in state-run institutions and universities.
- In 2023, she was the lone Muslim woman candidate fielded by the party in the Karnataka Assembly elections.