Hriday Chheda is an Indian equestrian athlete. He was part of the team that won the gold medal in Equestrian Dressage at the 2022 Asian Games. He is India’s one of the leading Dressage riders.
Hriday Vipul Chedda was born on Friday, 24 July 1998 (age 25 years; as of 2023) in Mumbai, India. His zodiac sign is Leo. He pursued his schooling at two different schools, the Jamnabai Narsee International School, and Mallya Aditi International School. A fun pony ride in Juhu made Hriday fall in love with horses and he decided to pursue it as a career. He pursued his undergraduate degree via distance learning in Business and Management from the University of London.
Height (approx.): 5′ 7″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
There is not much information about his parents and siblings.
Hriday Chheda is unmarried.
Hriday started Equestrian at the age of 6. He trained at Japalouppe Equestrian Centre near Pune, before joining the Amateur Riders’ Club (ARC) at Mahalaxmi racecourse where he got a chance to compete at the state and national level. Hriday has trained and worked all across Europe.
During his time in England, Hriday has spent his time with Emile Faurie, a British Olympian Dressage rider. In 2019, he worked in Germany with Tara Schneider at Gut Römerhof as well as with dressage rider and horse behaviour specialist, Warwick Mclean and his wife Carolina Mclean. In 2021, he started working with Nanoli Stud Farm in India to develop a state-of-the-art riding facility and also start the first breeding program for dressage horses in the country.
In September 2023, Hriday was part of the team that won the Gold medal at the 19th Asian Games in the Team dressage event. He also took part in the individual dressage event but was disqualified due to a violation of animal protection rules as his horse, Chemxpro Emerald, had some blood spots on the left leg.
- In 2014, Hriday won the advanced dressage in Zone 8 at the FEI World Dressage Challenge.
- In 2015, Hriday became one of the youngest riders to win the National Champion title at Prix St George level.
- In 2022, Hriday won the CDI3* Motesice (SVK) Intermediate 1 freestyle dressage event by the International Federation for Equestrian Sports.
In September 2023, Hriday Chedda won a gold medal in the mixed equestrian team event at the 19th Asian Games in Hangzhou, China.
- Hriday leased his Equine partner, Emerald, who is a 14-year-old gelding, in October 2022 from Dutch international Ilse van Cranenbroek. In an interview, talking about his bond with his horse, Emerald, Hriday said,
In the last year, I have learnt that Emerald has a big ego, and you can’t force him to do anything unless he is enjoying it. So, I have managed to understand his mindset and have developed a good rapport. He has great experience of competing at the international level. I wish I had had one more year to train with him.”
- Hriday Chheda is the only Indian to have won the CDI event at the international level.
- In an interview, talking about his experience at the Asian Games event Hriday said,
My horse got really stressed with the atmosphere in the arena. There were so many people! This atmosphere is not something you can get every day. So you cannot train for it. He was really spooked and afraid to enter the arena. I had to really push him to give him the confidence, Whenever he would stop and resist going in one direction, I would turn him around and go the other way. We did this twice and then three times, and finally, I earned his trust again. Otherwise, we wouldn’t have won this medal today.”