Deepak Niwas Hooda, an Indian professional kabaddi player, gained prominence as the captain of the Indian National Kabaddi Team.
Deepak Niwas Hooda was born on Friday, June 10, 1994 (age 29 years old; as of 2023), in the village of Chamaria in Rohtak district, Haryana. His zodiac sign is Gemini. He completed his education at TFV Global School. When he was in 12th grade, Deepak made the decision to leave school and took up a part-time teaching role at the same institution. Alongside his teaching responsibilities, he dedicated himself to kabaddi, traveling to a neighboring village for practice, a commitment that significantly contributed to his skills. Then, he pursued his college education where he also participated in the All India University tournament, winning the gold medal.
Height (approx.): 5′ 11″
Weight (approx.): 80 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Body Measurements (approx.): Chest: 42”; Waist: 32”; Biceps: 14”
Parents & Siblings
His father, Ram Niwas was a farmer while his mother was a housewife. Both his parents died when he was just a child.
He also has an elder sister who is married.
Wife & Children
The kabaddi player married boxer Saweety Boora on Thursday, 7 July 2022.
Deepak follows Hinduism.
Deepak played an important role in the Haryana team’s win at the Senior National level tournament in Patna in 2014, where they secured the gold medal. Additionally, he contributed to the success of the Rajasthan state kabaddi team, helping them win a bronze medal at the 67th Senior National Kabaddi Championship.
Pro Kabaddi League Journey
In the Pro Kabaddi League, Deepak’s journey has been notable. He was acquired by the Telugu Titans in 2014 for Rs 12.6 lakhs, making him the second-highest bid recipient of that season. During this stint, he showcased his raiding skills with an impressive 72 successful raids out of 148, amassing a total of 89 points across 14 matches. In 2016, he moved from the Telugu Titans to the Puneri Paltan for the third and fourth seasons and was even nominated as captain of the Puneri Paltan during the fifth season.
Season 6 saw Deepak’s move to the Jaipur Pink Panthers for a significant sum of Rs 1.15 crore. Continuing with the Jaipur Pink Panthers in the subsequent season, he made 55 successful raids out of 155, gathering a total of 77 points across 12 matches.
Afterward, he participated in season 9 with the Bengal Warriors.
In 2016, Deepak achieved remarkable success on the international stage too. He won a gold medal at the South Asian Games held in Guwahati and made a significant contribution to the Kabaddi World Cup victory that same year.
In 2017 he secured yet another gold medal at the Asian Kabaddi Championship. The following year, in 2018, he earned a bronze medal at the Asian Games and added another gold medal to his collection at the Dubai Kabaddi Masters. Stepping up as the team’s captain for the 2019 South Asian Games, Deepak led the squad to their second consecutive gold medal victory, marking his second personal triumph at the tournament and his first as captain.
Awards, Honours, Achievements
Arjuna Award – 2020
Best Raider Award (PKl) – Season 6 (2018).
- 2016 Kabaddi World Cup Ahmedabad – Gold
- 2018 Asian Games Jakarta – Bronze
- Asian Kabaddi Championship 2017 Gorgan – Gold
- 2018 Dubai Kabaddi Master Dubai – Gold
- South Asian Games 2016 Guwahati – Gold
- South Asian Games 2019 Kathmandu – Gold
He has a portrait of his wife on his arms.
Deepak has a Ford Endeavour.
As of 2022, Deepak Niwas Hooda has a salary of INR 43 Lakh.
- Movies: MS Dhoni: The Untold Story, Bhag Milkha Bhag
- Deepak lost his mother when he was just 4 years old. While his father took care of him and his sister, he passed away too when Deepak was in 12th grade. This made him quit his education to become the primary breadwinner. He joined the same institute that he was studying in as a teacher.
- Due to his experience with teaching during his youth, Deepak revealed that if he was not a kabaddi player, he would have been a teacher.
- During the inaugural season auction of the Pro Kabaddi League in 2014, Deepak Hooda gained significant attention, earning the second-highest bid. The Telugu Titans bought him for ₹12.6 lakhs.
- He is known for his strongest movement in kabaddi which is the Running Hand Touch move where there is a rapid and unexpected movement, as the player moves ahead to touch the defender’s hand before reaching the safe line.
- In 2018, along with his teammates Rahul Chaudhari and Pardeep Narwal, Deepak came on the covers of Sports Illustrated India magazine.
- Deepak’s spouse, Saweety Boora, won a gold medal at the 2023 Women’s World Boxing Championship.
- Deepak has opened a shop related to nutrition and supplements called DNH Nutrition in his hometown Rohtak.
- Besides his sports career, Deepak Hooda has become an ambassador for various brands, including My 11 Circle, Revital, Flite, Rummy Culture, GNC, and MPL.
- Deepak made an appearance in the sports documentary series titled ‘Son of the Soil’. The series talks about the journey of Bollywood star Abhishek Bachchan and his team, the Jaipur Pink Panthers, with Deepak Hooda as a prominent figure.
- Deepak has a love and passion for serving street animals. He also uses his social media platform to encourage his followers to do the same. Moreover, he even has a pet dog named Panther.
- In an interview, the kabaddi player revealed that he prefers waking up early in the morning instead of sleeping in late to work out.
- When Deepak is free, he likes to play cricket with his friends and teammates. Cricket is another sport that Deepak likes to follow besides kabaddi. Additionally, he also likes to ride horses and swim.