Baljinder Kaur is an Indian politician who is a member of the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP). She is a Member of the Punjab Legislative Assembly and the Ex-President of the Aam Aadmi Party’s women’s wing in Punjab.
Baljinder Kaur was born on Sunday, 14 September 1986 (age 37 years; as of 2023) in Talwandi Sabo, Punjab. Her zodiac sign is Virgo. In 2009, she pursued an M.Phil degree in English at Punjabi University, Patiala.
Height (approx.): 5′ 2″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
Baljinder Kaur’s father’s name is Darshan Singh and her mother’s name is Ranjit Kaur.
Husband & Children
In February 2019, Baljinder Kaur married Sukhraj Singh Bal in a religious ceremony at Jagah Ram Tirath village, Bathinda, Punjab. He is the Aam Aadmi Party’s (AAP) Youth Wing leader for the Majha region.
The couple was blessed with a daughter in 2019.
Permanent Address: V.P.O. Jaga Ram Tirth, Tehsil- Talwandi Sabo, Dist-Bathinda
Correspondent Address: Flat 52, Sector- 3, Chandigarh
After completing her post-graduation, Baljinder Kaur pursued her career as an English lecturer. She taught at the Mata Gujri College in Fatehgarh Sahib. In 2014, she contested in the Punjab Legislative Assembly by-poll elections from the Talwandi Sabo constituency on a ticket from the Aam Aadmi Party. This ticket was earlier allotted to Punjabi Singer, Balkar Sidhu. However, she faced heavy defeat in this election. In 2017, she became a Member of the Legislative Assembly by winning the Punjab Legislative Assembly elections from the Talwandi Sabo constituency. She defeated her nearest rival Khushbaz Singh Jatana of the Indian National Congress by a margin of 19,293 votes.
She then contested in the 2019 Lok Sabha elections on an AAP ticket from Bathinda but lost the election. She served as a member of the Punjab Assembly Committee on Government Assurances from 2020–2021. In the 15th Punjab Legislative Assembly, she was assigned as a member of the Punjab Assembly Committee on Papers laid/to be laid on the table of the House and Library, and a member of the Punjab Assembly Committee on Subordinate Legislation. In 2022, she again contested the same Talwandi Sabo constituency in the Punjab Legislative Assembly elections and won against Jeetmohinder Singh Sidhu of the Shiromani Akali Dal party by 15,252 votes. In 2022, she was assigned as the chairperson of the Punjab Assembly Committee on Questions & References.
Baljinder Kaur indicted over dual vote
In November 2005, Baljinder was enrolled as a voter in the Talwandi Sabo assembly at an address with house number 273 and her father’s name as Amarjit Singh. Baljinder Kaur is Amarjit Singh’s adopted child. Amarjit Singh passed away in 2005. In 2007, using the adoption deed and her voter ID, Baljinder Kaur moved to the court claiming her right over Amarjit Singh’s property. In 2011, after the matter was discarded, she again registered herself as a voter at an address with house number 272-A, which mentioned her biological father, Darshan Singh. In 2018, Diprava Lakra, Bathinda’s deputy commissioner-cum-district election officer received a complaint from Talwandi Sabo’s sub-divisional magistrate (SDM)-cum-electoral registration officer, Barinder Singh regarding Baljinder Kaur possessing dual votes with different father names and house addresses. He alleged that Baljinder had two voter IDs with different details on both. However, when a probe was done into this issue in 2015, her vote which mentioned her father’s name as Amarjit Singh was added to the absent voter’s list, therefore the vote that mentioned her father’s name as Amarjit Singh was removed from the list. Baljinder also denied these allegations and said,
I never had a dual vote. The election commission would not have allowed me to contest the 2014 and 2017 polls if I had two votes. If the SDM has submitted any such report I will demand another inquiry into the matter.”
Criminal Case against Baljinder Kaur
In October 2022, the Chandigarh District Court issued a non-bailable warrant against Professor Baljinder Kaur, in a case related to physically hurting the police at an anti-electricity price hike protest in 2020. The non-bailable warrant was issued due to her absence at a prior court appearance in September.
Details of Criminal Case
- charges related to Voluntarily causing hurt to deter public servant from his duty (IPC Section-332)
- 2 charges related to Disobedience to order duly promulgated by a public servant (IPC Section-188)
- 1 charge related to Assault or criminal force to deter a public servant from discharge of his duty (IPC Section-353)
- 1 charge related to Negligent act likely to spread infection of disease dangerous to life (IPC Section-269)
- 1 charges related to Commutation of sentence of death (IPC Section-54)
- 1 charges related to Punishment for Rioting (IPC Section-147)
- 1 charge related to Every member of unlawful assembly guilty of an offence committed in prosecution of a common object (IPC Section-149)
Cash: Rs 3,84,000
Deposits in Banks, Financial Institutions and Non-Banking Financial Companies: Rs 87,086
Jewellery: Rs 19,60,000
Agricultural Land: Rs 60,00,000
Residential Buildings: Rs 4,00,000
Note: The given estimates are according to the year 2022. It excludes the assets owned by her husband and dependents (minor).
Baljinder Kaur’s net worth as of 2022 is approximately INR 2 crores.
- In August 2016, Baljinder Kaur was declared as the president of the Aam Aadmi Party’s women’s wing of Punjab.
- In September 2022, a video surfaced online in which Baljinder Kaur was seen as a victim of domestic violence by her husband. In the video, she can be seen approaching her husband amidst an argument but in a sudden moment, her husband slaps her on the face. Seeing this incident, the Chairperson of the Punjab State Women Commission, Manisha Gulati said,
It is upsetting that a woman who raises public issues faces harassment at home”
Baljinder Kaur never lodged an official complaint regarding this issue, which led to many people questitioning the state of domestic violence in India.
- Her hobbies include Gidha and Bhangra.
- Her ideologies and beliefs are mainly influenced by Guru Granth Sahib.
- She avoids intake of any kind of sweets, so much so that even her tea is sugarless.