Anita Sheoran is an Indian wrestler. She has won many medals at several championships including Asian Wrestling Championships and the Commonwealth Wrestling Championships.
Anita Sheoran was born on Saturday, 24 November 1984 (age 38 years, as of 2022) in Dhani Mahu village in the Bhiwani district of Haryana. Her zodiac sign is Sagittarius.
Height (approx.): 5′ 3″
Weight (approx.): 65 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
Her father’s name is Dilip Singh Sheoran, and her mother’s name is Santosh Devi. Dilip Singh Sheoran is a truck driver-cum-farmer; however, there is not much information about her siblings.
Husband & Children
Anita Sheoran got married to Naveen Kumar, who works as a swimming coach at the Department of Sports and Youth Affairs, Haryana, in 2015. The couple has a son.
Anita Sheoran is coached by Zile Singh. Sheoran competed at the 2010 Commonwealth Games in the 67 kg freestyle category and won gold.
She competed at the 2008 Asian Wrestling Championships under the 59 kg category in which she won bronze.
Commonwealth Wrestling Championship
Sheoran participated in the 2005 Commonwealth Wrestling Championship in the 67 kg category at which she won bronze. She competed under the 63 kg category at the 2009 Commonwealth Wrestling Championships in Jalandhar, India, and won silver by defeating Canadian freestyle wrestler Justine Bouchard. In 2011, she won silver after losing in the final against Canada’s Dorothy Yeats at the Commonwealth Wrestling Championships in Melbourne, Australia, under the 63 kg category. Sheoran won silver at the 2013 Commonwealth Wrestling Championships in Johannesburg, South Africa, under the 67 kg category; she was defeated by Nigerian wrestler Ifeoma Iheanacho in the finals.
World Wrestling Championships
In 2008, she competed at the World Wrestling Championships, but she lost in the first round to Agata Pietrzyk, a Polish wrestler, who eventually won the bronze medal. In 2015, she competed at the World Wrestling Championships under the 63 kg category in Las Vegas, United States. She defeated Nadiia Mushka by 9–1 in the first round; however, she lost her next bout by 2–5 against Colombia’s Sandra Roa.
National Wrestling Championship
In 2009, she competed at the National Wrestling Championship, which was held in Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh, under the 63 kg category, and won gold after defeating Geetika Jakhar; Sheoran had decided to gain weight following her competition at the 2008 Asian Wrestling Championships. In 2015, she won gold in the 63 kg category at the Senior Nationals.
National Games of India
In 2011, Anita Sheoran participated in the National Games of India, also known as the 34th National Games of India, in Ranchi, Jharkhand, and represented Haryana. She defeated Manipur’s N Tombi Devi and won gold under the 63 kg category. Anita represented Haryana at the 35th National Games of India, held in Kerala in 2015. She defeated Uttar Pradesh’s Rajni by 4–2 in the final of the women’s 63 kg freestyle category and won gold.
Summer Olympic Games
Sheoran competed in the Asian Olympic Qualification Tournament in the 63 kg freestyle category to qualify for the 2012 Summer Olympics. She won bronze but could not make it to secure an Olympic spot as reaching the final was the mandatory criteria; she defeated Chinese Taipei’s Min-wen Hou but was later defeated by Olympic medalist Yelena Shalygina.
Pro Wrestling League (PWL)
Anita Sheoran competed at the Pro Wrestling League Season 3 under the team ‘NCR Punjab Royals’ in the 62 kg category. She defeated UP Dangal’s Navjot Kaur and won gold.
Anita Sheoran serves as an Inspector in Haryana Police.
- Anita won gold at the 2009 National Wrestling Championship.
- In 2010, she won gold medal at the 2010 Commonwealth Games in New Delhi.
- She won gold at the 34th National Games of India.
- In 2015, she won gold at the 35th National Games of India and at Senior Nationals.
- Anita won gold at the 2019 Pro Wrestling League.
- She won silver at the 2009 Commonwealth Wrestling Championships, held in Jalandhar, India.
- In 2011, she won silver medal at the Commonwealth Wrestling Championships in Melbourne, Australia.
- She won silver at the 2013 Commonwealth Wrestling Championships, held in Johannesburg, South Africa.
- In 2005, Anita won bronze at the Commonwealth Wrestling Championships; the event was held in Stellenbosch, South Africa.
- She won the bronze medal at the 2008 Asian Wrestling Championships, held in Jeju, South Korea.
- She won bronze at the Asian Olympic Qualification Tournament in 2012.
- In 2016, she won bronze at the Asian Wrestling Championships, held at the Thai-Japanese Stadium, also known as Thai-Japanese Bangkok Youth Center, in Bangkok, Thailand.
- Sheoran stands as one of India’s pioneering women wrestlers to achieve international success. She won a gold medal at the 2010 Commonwealth Games (CWG) in New Delhi; the same year that marked the introduction of women’s wrestling at the games.
- In 2023, Sheoran contested the Wrestling Federation of India’s (WFI) presidential elections, aiming to fill the position left vacant by Brij Bhushan Singh. She was the only female candidate to contest the elections. Singh faced several allegations of sexually exploiting women wrestlers for more than a decade on 18 January 2023 which led him to lose his position as the WFI president; Sheoran was one of the women who was sexually assaulted by Bhushan Singh.