Abhishek Verma is an Indian archer who has achieved numerous gold medals in various international archery competitions. As of 2023, he holds the 10th position in the global rankings and 1st position in both the Asia and India rankings. In addition to his achievements in archery, Abhishek serves as an Assistant Commissioner at the Income Tax Department.
Abhishek Verma was born on Monday, 26 June 1989 (age 34 years; as of 2023) in Model Town, New Delhi. His zodiac sign is Cancer. He did his schooling at the Government School in Model Town, New Delhi. He pursued his higher studies at Hans Raj College, Delhi University. In grade 8, he asked his PT teacher for advice on which sport to play. The teacher suggested he play archery, and he followed the advice, practising with a wooden bow a few days later. In an interview, he mentioned feeling a connection to the game when he shot an arrow for the first time. He used to play lawn tennis before choosing archery. After breaking two rackets in a month and being denied a new one by his parents due to the sport’s expense, he decided to quit tennis and take up archery. He began practising archery in 2002 at the Delhi University Ground.
Regularly participating in sub-junior and national competitions, he achieved the status of national champion in 2005. In an interview, he mentioned that he wasn’t doing well academically. Therefore, his parents were pleased that he opted for archery and excelled in it. In 2006, he began participating in different national tournaments at the Sports Authority of India (SAI).
In 2011, he began practising for world championships. As the compound model was relatively new in India at that time, he learned about it with the assistance of his coaches and the Internet.
Height (approx.): 5′ 8″
Weight (approx.): 80 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
Abhishek’s father’s name is Surender Verma, who is a businessman.
He has a younger brother, Abhineet Verma, who is a businessman.
Wife & Children
Abhishek got married to Sonali Verma, an entrepreneur on 14 July 2016. Together, they have two sons, Shaurya Verma and Atharv Verma.
Abhishek follows Hinduism.
He made his international debut in 2014 at the Asian Games in Incheon, South Korea. He won a gold medal in the men’s compound archery team event with Rajat Chauhan and Sandeep Kumar at the 2014 Asian Games in Incheon, South Korea. Moreover, he also earned a silver medal in the men’s individual compound event.
In 2017, at the Archery World Cup stage one in Shanghai, the Indian men’s compound team—Abhishek Verma, Chinna Raju Srither, and Amanjeet Singh—secured a bronze medal by beating Colombia with a score of 226–221. On 17 November 2021, he, along with Rishabh Yadav and Aman Saini, secured the bronze medal in the men’s compound archery team event at the 22nd Asian Archery Championship in Dhaka, Bangladesh. In 2022, he partnered with Jyothi Surekha Vennam and won a gold medal in the compound mixed-team archery event at the Archery World Cup in Paris, France.
In March 2022, he achieved success at the 41st Senior National Archery Championship held in Jammu, securing two gold medals and one silver in the Individual, team, and mixed-team categories respectively.
In October 2022, he clinched the gold medal in the compound men’s team event at the 36th National Games held in Gujarat.
In 2023, he secured a gold medal in the mixed team event at the Asian Games held at the Fuyang Yinhu Sports Centre. Both the women’s and men’s teams also won gold medals in the tournament. In March 2023, he won four medals at the National Championship.
- 2014 (Incheon): Gold in the compound team event
- 2014 (Incheon): Silver in compound individual event
- 2018 (Jakarta): Silver in the compound team event
- 2022 (Hangzhou): Gold in compound Men’s team event
- 2022 (Hangzhou): Silver in individual event
Asian Archery Championships
- 2013 (Taipei): Gold as an individual
- 2013 (Taipei): Gold in the mixed-team event
- 2013 (Taipei): Gold as a team
- 2015 (Bangkok): Gold as a team
- 2017 (Dhaka): Silver as a team
- 2017 (Dhaka): Silver in the mixed-team event
- 2017 (Dhaka): Gold as an individual
- 2019 (Bangkok): Gold as an individual
- 2019 (Bangkok): Silver as a team
- 2021 (Dhaka): Bronze as a team
- 2021 (Dhaka): Silver as an individual
Archery World Cups
- 2014 (Wroclaw): Silver in compound mixed team event
- 2015 (Shanghai): Bronze in compound men’s team event
- 2015 (Mexico City): Silver in compound individual event
- 2015 (Wroclaw): Gold in compound individual event
- 2017 (Antalya): Bronze in compound mixed team event
- 2018 (Shanghai): Bronze in compound mixed team event
- 2018 (Antalya): Bronze in compound men’s team event
- 2018 (Berlin): Bronze in compound mixed team event
- 2018 (Salt Lake City): Bronze in compound mixed team event
- 2018 (Antalya): Bronze in compound mixed team event
- 2018 (Samsun): Bronze in compound individual event
- 2018 (Samsun): Silver in compound mixed team event
- 2018 (Shanghai): Gold in compound men’s team event
- 2019 (Antalya): Bronze in team event
- 2021 (Paris): Gold in compound individual event
- 2022 (Antalya): Gold in compound men’s team event
- 2022 (Gwangju): Gold as an individual
- 2022 (Gwangju): Bronze in compound men’s event
- 2022 (Paris): Gold in the mixed compound team event
- 2023 (Medellin): Gold in the individual category
- 2023 (Medellin): Bronze in compound men’s individual event
- 2023 (Tashkent): Gold in individual, team and mixed-team events
World Archery Championships
- 2021 (Yankton): Silver in the mixed-team event
- 2022 (Birmingham): Bronze in compound mixed team event
Awards, Honours, Achievements
- Arjuna Award (2014)
- Rajiv Gandhi State Award for Outstanding Excellence in Sports (2007)
He owns a Royal Enfield.
He has a Fortuner.
- His teammates call him by the name ‘Smiley Boy.’
- Abhishek was coached by Lokesh Chand.
- The chairman of the Central Board of Direct Taxes, Shri Sushil Chandra, honoured him for winning a gold medal in the compound team category at the 2017 Archery World Cup.
- In 2020, he was chosen as the face of POSITIVE, a clothing brand.
- In 2022, it was reported that Abhishek’s wife’s bag was stolen in Delhi’s Rohini area. The bag contained a laptop, documents, and cash worth Rs. 1 lakh. After registering a case, the police investigated and stated,
We have seen the CCTV footage in which an e-rickshaw is seen approaching the car. We have sent a team to nab the accused. A probe into the matter is underway.”
- In 2022, Rishabh Yadav from Haryana, who became a national champion, mentioned in an interview that Abhishek was his mentor. Since Abhishek’s and Rishabh’s mothers were classmates, Abhishek took on the responsibility of training Yadav when he began his journey in the sport.
- In an interview, Abhishek mentioned his desire to attempt rifle shooting to represent India in the Olympics. However, this opportunity was unavailable to him due to his involvement in ‘compound archery,’ which is not an Olympic sport.
- He dedicates eight to ten hours daily to practice without fail. His routine includes exercises from 6 a.m. to 7 a.m., a practice session at 11 a.m., another one at 3 p.m., and then he goes to the gym for a workout.
- In an interview, he mentioned that wrestler Sushil Kumar is his role model.
- He enjoys travelling and trying different adventurous activities.
- He spends his free time sketching.